1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

crossed beak, missing eye??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by klf73, Apr 11, 2009.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Had my first truly deformed chick hatch today. Any other that I had never even pipped and I only knew they were deformed by opening the eggs to see why. This poor baby had a crossed beak, which I noticed sticking out of the shell....now that it's out I can see why.....one side of it's head is sunken in and the eye is missing. Should this one just be culled? I wasn't going to breed this one anyway, just go into my banty pen. Experiences?

2. montana girl

montana girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2007
    Kalispell, Montana
    Strange, there was just a post titled SUCKER that someone rescued two babies with the exact deformity from a TSC. It must be a common (sort of?) chicken deformity to have the scrunched head and crossed beak and no eye?

Good luck to you.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I would cull the chick. Crossed beaks are usually genetic.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Cull the chick... probably won't live long anyway.

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I don't even know how it pipped [​IMG] never mind hatch.....it doesn't even stand [​IMG] The other chicks that just hatched keep sitting on it. I will try to find a way to cull when the kids go to bed.....thanks for the replies

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:the missing eye seems to be the reason for the crossed beak, it seemed to cause a deformity where the beak attaches......

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm always so sad when I have to cull a chick. Seems they come that far and to make it into the world just to have to leave it so soon makes my heart hurt. I'm really sorry. It's the worst part of raising chickens.

8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have been pretty lucky so far.....at least compared to what some seem to hatch.....it does stink [​IMG] thanks again

9. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    oddly enough though I have hatched a few with issues this year already. First has curled toes, came out of the shell that way. Second has spraddle leg with curled toes and then this one. My bator is disinfected(and the cartons they are in are new). Only 1 chick was affected with each hatch. Eggs came from different sources (all shipped). Different breeds. Not in the bator at the same time.....I might have to hatch some home growns just to make sure it's not me goofing something up....

10. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Quote:I agree. Every birth is such a miracle, considering all the many factors that must be in place for successful coupling, fertilization, incubation, & hatching. And then to have such a deformed chick as a result, it makes it tempting to want to keep it around as a reward for making it thus far.

This is the line each one of us must draw for ourselves. I don't argue with where other people draw their lines, or fault them for drawing theirs in a different place than mine. There are those who are willing to take heroic measures to sustain the life of all sorts of handicapped animals. And others who are quick to cull for the slightest inperfection. Neither viewpoint is wrong, nor any points inbetween. The important thing is to know where you will draw your line, and to be prepared to cull as humanely as you can when you must.

One thing that helps me is to bury my culls deep under a bush or tree so their life doesn't feel like a total waste, they can at least lend some sustenence to the plant and in that way, continue to live. (I don't have digging dogs, if I did I'd lay a paver over the hole)
    [​IMG] klf73, I'm sorry for your dilemma.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by