Crossing Buff Orpingtons with Delawares and Barnevelders?

I don't cross different kinds of chickens, so I have no idea how to get a sex link. But why would you want to breed a Buff Orp to a Barnevelder for? I would find me a Barnevelder Rooster and try to keep them pure. But that's just me.

Hopefully someone will have the answer your looking for.

Quote:
hahaha, I completely understand what you're saying, normally I do just that. However, my cousin just got Cornish x Rock broilers but I want to find a decent meat bird without all the problems. Thanks for your input though!

On the Cornish X if you get the Black or Red Broilers they don't have the leg problems like the White do. That is if you are wanting to buy some, if you want to hatch your own I would say Orp to Del or Barred Rocks all are big birds.

Last edited:
I don't think you'd get sex linked chickens from the Buff Orpington x Barnevelder cross. Unless you have the Silver Barnevelders.
To get a sex link you need a red rooster (Rhode Island Red or New Hampshire) over (for red sex link) a silver hen (any that have silver in their breed name usually works), or over (for black sex link) barred or cuckoo hens. I do think that the Buff Orpington rooster would work as the red rooster, though the baby chicks they say are a little harder to tell at hatching than if you use a red rooster.
There is a thread at the top of Breeds, Genetics, & Showing section here on the sex link chickens and they name some good crosses that you could do. I'm thinking of trying them myself if I can ever create enough room to do it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom