Crossing my Red Ranger Hens.

Pics
As for keeping people off of the property for sales, I would band each bird individually so you can tell that they are all different, then take multiple photos of each bird, trying to get the bands in the image as much as possible, then have a meeting place nearby, maybe a store parking lot, where you can exchange the bird and money without them being on the property. It might help to have the bird in a wire cage as well so they can see the birds that they are buying and confirm that it is the same bird that they saw photos of. That in addition to documentation showing hatch date, and any other information you know about THAT bird or at least that group would help make the sale.

I doubt the dislocated leg is a genetic fault. Its likely due to a complicated hatch. but I will be shopping for local dark cornish from now until that chick is an adult and if I can replace him/her I will.
Ah I still don't breed those. It seems like weak joints could be passed on. But you have to work with what you have. AI would work. Not sure she could handle getting mounted

20191002_064514_Burst01-1_Signature.jpg
20191002_065014.jpg

@Compost King here are the 2 Dorking/RR chicks. You can see one has a reddish chest and one doesn't. I think your theory holds true that the boys don't get the red in their chest in this case. The second chick has a slightly larger comb and it's just a bit pink, I'm still thinking one cockerel and 1 pullet. They're just over 5 weeks.

@igorsMistress you ended up with 2 that have the Silver grey (silver duck wing) Pattern. Although i am not certain about the male the female definitely has the same pattern as the Original Dorkings I started with. from what I see only 10 or 15% ended up that way. I am keeping those and breeding them back to the Dorkings (provided they do not have red leakage) I am also keeping the ones I have that come to closest to a Columbian pattern. I also have 2 Red Females that came from the reverse crossing but could not appear in the crossing you had. I am going to work with them to make my own version of Red Dorkings. They won't have the correct shade of red but I don't care. Its a new line of them and I am just trying to make something that tastes good on the table and can breed its pattern true. I am headed out to take some pictures of the slightly older birds from the same crossing with a Similar Pattern.

I took a round of pictures of the 3/4 Dorkings. The first 2 are actually of Silver Leghorns who have the same pattern of Silver Grey Dorkings... mine were in a deep dark corner under the deck where they like to spend most of their time. The ground is still moist under there and its better scratching that the dusty dry grounds that the sun gets to everyday.
IMG_2473.JPG

IMG_2825.JPG

----------
Next is a possible example of a Silver Grey Dorking (Silver Duckwing). in a 13 week old cockerel
IMG_3191.JPG

I struggle to tell if the males have a good pattern or not.
---------
Next is an example of a female with a halfway decent Silver Duckwing Pattern, her head is more black than white and it should white (or silver)
IMG_3199.JPG

---------
Next is a bad picture but it looks like a red bird with a white head if the sun was not running interference on the shot. There is also a Columbian bird (very sloppy) in the shot.
IMG_3204.JPG

----------
Here is a Columbian Patterned male, I will keep working on this pattern in an attempt to get more white and less black. Might be above my pay grade but it will be fun to try and if I fail I can eat the results. So far these crosses have been great layers of large Cream eggs. So even if I fail I am making some great dual purpose birds.
IMG_3205.JPG

-----------------
Not sure if this is the same or a different bird than before but this is the Silver Grey pattern female with the red breast. Head still a little dark but its good enough to breed back to the Dorking male.
IMG_3206.JPG

------------
This is a silver grey dorking on the nesting box, I hope she isn't broody! I am not in the mood to deal with mama birds and chicks this fall/winter. Last winter was a muddy mess. If she is broody I am taking out the dorking eggs and putting in something more hardy.
IMG_3214.JPG

you can see her red breast.
-------------
IMG_3220.JPG
IMG_3219.JPG

This is 2 pictures of one of the red ones that came from the reverse crossing of the other 3/4 Dorkings. I only hatched out a few of these. 2 out of 7 came out red. I might see if I can make Red Dorkings out of these even though its not the correct shade of red for a Red Dorking. Who cares anyways, I do not make show lines I make pet and Utility birds so I can have a line of a different shade of red.

Sure was nice of her to show us that wing! I got lucky and took a picture when she was stretching. As slow as my camera is it would be impossible to catch it on purpose.
----------------
IMG_3222.JPG

Most of the 3/4 Dorkings ended up looking like this, not really any recognizable pattern. One is an incomplete columbian just like her mother and the other seems like a very sloppy silver grey pattern with a lot of red leakage. Both seem like females.

Dorkings go broody every spring, the crosses I am not exactly sure about none of my half Dorkings went broody (yet) and the 3/4 Dorkings haven't even gotten close to egg laying. Those who have had Dorkings for a long time say they go broody like clockwork but you may need to leave eggs out for them to sit on. I had 2 go broody at the same time in the same coop/Run and they declared war trying to kill each others chicks. I eventually had to move them to broody boxes in the free range area where they could avoid each other.

Back
Top Bottom