Crossing my Red Ranger Hens.

Pics
a few months back I found my Full Naked Neck patriarch was damaging the thighs on one of my Red Ranger hens. Since there were 2 of them and it only happened to one I didn't immediately believe he was the cause. Today the Hens in his pen (the daughters he and that injured Red Ranger made) refused to go into the coop and were roosting outside in the pen. When I picked them up to put them in the coop I felt the thighs of one of the hens and I felt scabs under the feathers. I believe I am going to need to trim his toe nails and limit the time he spends individual hens. He isn't mean but his mating style seems to be harmful. Its time to rotate those 2 hens out and rotate in others of the same crossing. I have 5 others I want to breed back to him.
Update on the Red Ranger, She still isn't laying, maybe her laying life is short and won't lay again. I plan to get more Red Rangers or another alternative type of broilers.

a few months back I found my Full Naked Neck patriarch was damaging the thighs on one of my Red Ranger hens. Since there were 2 of them and it only happened to one I didn't immediately believe he was the cause. Today the Hens in his pen (the daughters he and that injured Red Ranger made) refused to go into the coop and were roosting outside in the pen. When I picked them up to put them in the coop I felt the thighs of one of the hens and I felt scabs under the feathers. I believe I am going to need to trim his toe nails and limit the time he spends individual hens. He isn't mean but his mating style seems to be harmful. Its time to rotate those 2 hens out and rotate in others of the same crossing. I have 5 others I want to breed back to him.
Update on the Red Ranger, She still isn't laying, maybe her laying life is short and won't lay again. I plan to get more Red Rangers or another alternative type of broilers.

Is that the white clean necked roo? He may need his spur's trimmed down so they won't be sharply poking the hen's.

Is that the white clean necked roo? He may need his spur's trimmed down so they won't be sharply poking the hen's.
Yep I will be rounding those down as well as the nails. I will also rotate his breeding mates in and out more often. One of his sons will replace him soon, I have a clean Naked Neck all white male who is about 9 weeks old now. He will be slightly larger I hope seeing that his Grand ma is a Red Ranger. I also have more Half Naked Neck half Red Rangers to rotate in. And I will maximize the amount of hens his pen can handle to distribute his male vitality amount more targets.
(I hope I wore that correctly, Sometimes I think my Sailor mouth is going to take over and get me in trouble)

Yep I will be rounding those down as well as the nails. I will also rotate his breeding mates in and out more often. One of his sons will replace him soon, I have a clean Naked Neck all white male who is about 9 weeks old now. He will be slightly larger I hope seeing that his Grand ma is a Red Ranger. I also have more Half Naked Neck half Red Rangers to rotate in. And I will maximize the amount of hens his pen can handle to distribute his male vitality amount more targets.
(I hope I wore that correctly, Sometimes I think my Sailor mouth is going to take over and get me in trouble)

So, some of his grand-kid's are coming out clean necked now?

So, some of his grand-kid's are coming out clean necked now?
I believe half have been clean necked and half have been fully white and half have the Red Ranger pattern. Recessive white pattern which I am really starting to like because its either fully white or its the other pattern (red Columbian with this crossing). I did read something on Wikipedia about Recessive White restricting size a bit. But its wikipedia so who knows if that is true.

I believe half have been clean necked and half have been fully white and half have the Red Ranger pattern. Recessive white pattern which I am really starting to like because its either fully white or its the other pattern (red Columbian with this crossing). I did read something on Wikipedia about Recessive White restricting size a bit. But its wikipedia so who knows if that is true.

Interesting! Did you take pictures of those one's yet?

Most of the Red ones I have sold, I kept the white ones. The few reds I have left are about 3 weeks old and in the giant outdoor brooder, I will get pictures tomorrow. I am not sure how many of the 3 if any have a clean neck. The ones with bibs or bow ties look just like their mothers or their Red uncle that I spared from being a table bird. I am sure I have pictures in the giant library I will look for tonight or tomorrow depending on how tired I am when i am done working. Tonight I have to move chickens around if I have the energy. I feel tired and may just go to bed and put it all off for tomorrow.

This is the mother or sister of the mother of the birds being discussed
IMG_3182.JPG

----------
and below is their uncle
IMG_3419.JPG

------------
Here are 3 I took a picture of because I was considering putting them on Craigslist but I never did and still have them. They are outside right now in the large brooder.
IMG_3027.JPG

This is another one I have them in the brooder with all the chicks
IMG_3055.JPG

-------------------
the recessive whites!
IMG_3267.JPG

------
IMG_3272.JPG

Here are some of the white ones, half have clean necks and half do not, I just looked for t he pictures of the clean necks
IMG_3276.JPG

This is the mother or sister of the mother of the birds being discussed
View attachment 1935994
----------
and below is their uncle
View attachment 1935998
------------
Here are 3 I took a picture of because I was considering putting them on Craigslist but I never did and still have them. They are outside right now in the large brooder.
View attachment 1935992
This is another one I have them in the brooder with all the chicks
View attachment 1935993
-------------------
the recessive whites!
View attachment 1935995
------
View attachment 1935996
Here are some of the white ones, half have clean necks and half do not, I just looked for t he pictures of the clean necks
View attachment 1935997
Thanks for sharing pics!

Back
Top Bottom