Crossing my Red Ranger Hens.

Pics
Those are the NN's, I just hatched some MNN's and FNN's but they are still in the incubator, the NN2's and this round of NN's have not even pipped yet but its been a strange hatch so tomorrow I find out if the hatch or not.

(that male NN that I got picture of roosting and crossing on the coop door is the father of the MNN, and the adult female is the same as the FNN moms. She herself was one of the NN egg suppliers.

This is the mother or sister of the mother of the birds being discussed
View attachment 1935994
----------
and below is their uncle
View attachment 1935998
------------
Here are 3 I took a picture of because I was considering putting them on Craigslist but I never did and still have them. They are outside right now in the large brooder.
View attachment 1935992
This is another one I have them in the brooder with all the chicks
View attachment 1935993
-------------------
the recessive whites!
View attachment 1935995
------
View attachment 1935996
Here are some of the white ones, half have clean necks and half do not, I just looked for t he pictures of the clean necks
View attachment 1935997

There's a lot of neck in those white naked necks!

My NN and orpington cross doesn't seem to have an obvious naked neck, which surprised me, as I thought it was a dominate trait. Maybe it will become clearer when they lose the baby down.

I have to say, the outdoor brooding as been a breeze. I check on them first thing in the morning and they are bouncing around, happy and eating in 50 degree temps.

Those are the NN's, I just hatched some MNN's and FNN's but they are still in the incubator, the NN2's and this round of NN's have not even pipped yet but its been a strange hatch so tomorrow I find out if the hatch or not.

(that male NN that I got picture of roosting and crossing on the coop door is the father of the MNN, and the adult female is the same as the FNN moms. She herself was one of the NN egg suppliers.

He's a handsome boy!

and to think, he was next on the chopping block until I noticed he was such a nice fellow. Although he is slightly more aggressive than he was back then (which is needed so he can breed) he still won't fight me hard when when I pick him up. I can tell he doesn't like being held though and will jump out of my arms if I do not hold him firmly so I rarely hold him just to show that I respect his good behavior. I even gave him the name "The Rooster" and I have dozens (plural) of Roosters.

So I guess I will eat his children instead of him.

There's a lot of neck in those white naked necks!

My NN and orpington cross doesn't seem to have an obvious naked neck, which surprised me, as I thought it was a dominate trait. Maybe it will become clearer when they lose the baby down.

I have to say, the outdoor brooding as been a breeze. I check on them first thing in the morning and they are bouncing around, happy and eating in 50 degree temps.

That because when you breed a NN to a fully feathered neck, you will get 1/2 of the chick's with fully feathered neck's, and 1/2 of the chick's with bib's as NN's. You have to work toward's getting the clean necked one's, if that is what you want. Breed any of the one's with the bib's from your cross back to the mother or father.

Is that the white clean necked roo? He may need his spur's trimmed down so they won't be sharply poking the hen's.

I don't remember how old he is and I don't know what his spurs look like. Dulling sharp spurs is certainly a good idea. But if you look at the feet and legs, how many spurs does he have and how sharp are they. How many claws does he have and how sharp are they? What is he standing on and gripping with?

I see a lot of posts on this forum where a cockerel is causing barebacked pullets. The forum erupts, trim his spurs. That boy doesn't even have spurs yet, just nubs. It's obvious the claws are what is doing the damage.

Your post did not come across that way, you make a good point. Check the spurs also.

This is one of my pet peeves on the forum. Thanks for the chance to rant.

I trimmed the spurs and nails of the Naked Neck, then removed one hen from the pen, the 2nd hen crawled under the coop and its raining so no way I am laying down in the poopy mud, she will come out later and then I will grab her. One hen went into General Population and the other will follow. I will be rotating in more Hens of the same mix which was already planned. I would have had all of them in there and maxed out the pen but the hens were fighting so I removed all but 2 who got along. Chicken social chaos never ends but it makes a challenge which make breeding chickens fun.

Here are the Red Naked Necks, some with clean necks. These are about 3 weeks old.

Attachments

• IMG_3492.JPG
    IMG_3492.JPG
    655 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom