Crossing White Leghorn to Turkens

Judykaymayes

Songster
Mar 2, 2023
Wondering if it would be allright to cross White Leghorn hens to Turken Rooster wonder what colors you might come out with ?

Wondering if it would be allright to cross White Leghorn hens to Turken Rooster ?
There is no reason your couldn't. Depending on how many naked genes the naked neck has, you'll get either 100% with one gene or 50% with one gene and 50% with none (so a normal looking chicken). Also depends on the color the naked neck is to determine what the chick colors may bw

Yes it will be fine. You will get mixed-breed chickens, who should be just as happy and healthy as any other chickens.

Many chicks will be white with naked necks. As the previous poster said, you might get some chicks with no naked neck, or they may all have naked necks. There is a chance of some non-white chicks, but I would expect most chicks to be mostly white.

If you want purebred chickens, then no you should not cross them. Purebred chickens matter if you want to take them to shows, or sell them to people who care about having purebreds, or if you want purebreds for your own personal satisfaction.

I believe they might be purbred Leghorn hens they are 2 yr old now and I got 6 purbred Turken and a Roo a couple weeks ago. I got the Leghorns from a friend so the Roo wouldn't over breed the 6 Turken hens. Turkens are Red and Brown dont know the breeding and not full feathering naked on the necks most have the bow tie.

Last edited:
I believe they might be purcred Leghorn hens they are 2 yr old now and I got 6 purbred Turken and a Roo a couple i got the Leghorn from a friend so the Roo wouldn't over breed the 6 Turken hens. Turkens are Red and Brown dont know the breeding and not full naked feathering on the necks mozt have the bow tie.

So it would be Turken rooster and Leghorn hens? If the rooster has a bowtie, then half the chicks will also have bowties, and the other half will have normally-feathered necks like their Leghorn mothers.

If the mothers are pure Leghorns, the chicks will be mostly white, probably with a few black spots. They will probably look quite a bit like California Whites. (They will not be California Whites, just have the same coloring.) There is a chance of the sons showing some red in their shoulders as they grow up.

There is no reason your couldn't. Depending on how many naked genes the naked neck has, you'll get either 100% with one gene or 50% with one gene and 50% with none (so a normal looking chicken). Also depends on the color the naked neck is to determine what the chick colors may bw
I just hatched out this cross and didn't get any showgirls

I just hatched out this cross and didn't get any showgirls
How many chicks did you hatch?

It should be 50/50 odds, just like the odds of male vs. female, or flipping a coin and getting heads or tails. Just like you can flip a coin two or three times and get the same thing every time, you can get all males or all the chicks can have feathered necks. But the more chicks you hatch, or the more times you flip a coin, the more likely you are to get some of both kinds.

Just to check the obvious-- the rooster does have a naked neck, right? No matter what his ancestors are like, if he has a fully feathered neck, so will all his chicks. But if he has the "bowtie" appearance, he should be siring 50% naked neck chicks (bowtie type).

How many chicks did you hatch?

It should be 50/50 odds, just like the odds of male vs. female, or flipping a coin and getting heads or tails. Just like you can flip a coin two or three times and get the same thing every time, you can get all males or all the chicks can have feathered necks. But the more chicks you hatch, or the more times you flip a coin, the more likely you are to get some of both kinds.

Just to check the obvious-- the rooster does have a naked neck, right? No matter what his ancestors are like, if he has a fully feathered neck, so will all his chicks. But if he has the "bowtie" appearance, he should be siring 50% naked neck chicks (bowtie type).
I see ! he is fully naked naked

I see ! he is fully naked naked
If the rooster has a fully naked neck, with no bowtie, then every one of his chicks should show a naked neck, no matter which hens he is bred to.

Breeding such a rooster to hens with feathered necks will give 100% bowtie chicks. Breeding him to hens that have bowties should give a 50/50 split of bowtie chicks and chicks with fully naked necks.

If the rooster has a fully naked neck, and the chicks have fully feathered necks, then something isn't right. Either the rooster's neck is naked for some other reason (feather plucking?), or the chicks have the bowtie level of naked but hatched with enough fluff to be confusing, or the chicks have some other father that is not your naked-neck rooster.

I understand how the genetics are supposed to work, but I haven't personally hatched or raised them, so I don't know how naked the chicks would actually look when they hatch. So I don't know if bowtie chicks could be mistaken for chicks with feathered necks.

Back
Top Bottom