Crowber's Pandemic Coop - Carolina coop knockoff

Pics
Hi Crowber. What a beautiful coop. Love the purple! Would you mind sharing the plans? We have a coop and its falling apart so we need to build a new one! Thanks so much

Hi Crowber,
Thank you so much for the SketchUp you sent us in May. It gave us a head start and the encouragement that building a Carolina Coop alike is an attainable task. It's a lot of hard work though. We made changes to some of the measurements according to our needs. We also modify the area under the hen house into storage drawers. Not everything is complete, we're still working on it. Here are some pictures to share with you and the community. We're now working on the Nesting Box. Do you have any measurements of it to share with us? It will be of great help to us. It's quite a complicated task. Our chicks are 13 weeks old, they'll be laying soon. 😅

View attachment 2246536

View attachment 2246537

View attachment 2246538
Can you tell me more about the storage? How is it framed?

Coop is pretty much done at this point, maybe some touch up on the paint in a few places. Attaching some pics of the nest box now that it's done. I underestimated how much work that part is! It's like building a mini coop. The one main thing I did different from the original brand was that I put plywood underneath the metal roof. Because I scalded myself on the main roof as I was working on the coop on a hot day so I didn't want the chickies to get burned when they were nesting.

I'm also showing some pics of the feeder I bought. It's from Duncan's Poultry. I spray painted it to match the metal roof color. It's a nice feeder and it fits a whole bag of feed. The girls don't dig out the feed and they can still all eat together. I like how it hangs out of the way.

I got oasis cups for their waterer and put them on a nice bucket with screw lid. Still debating switching to nipples for cleanliness, but I think they like being able to take a big swig of water. I mostly just take my hand and sweep out the cups to clean them. They work really well in general. Glad I put two out, because someone will poo in one sometimes. I might add a nipple to the bucket just to see what it's like for them.

Last pic of my girls and me. Just about every day they take a nap with mom. Lap is getting a little small, but they still all try to cram on there. When I started this chicken thing I never expected them to be so cuddly. I think they appreciate not having to worry about getting eaten for an hour. :)

Anyhoo, hope people found this thread helpful. It was a fun project, though I wish I had started before I got the chicks and not after! Haha!

Coop is pretty much done at this point, maybe some touch up on the paint in a few places. Attaching some pics of the nest box now that it's done. I underestimated how much work that part is! It's like building a mini coop. The one main thing I did different from the original brand was that I put plywood underneath the metal roof. Because I scalded myself on the main roof as I was working on the coop on a hot day so I didn't want the chickies to get burned when they were nesting.

I'm also showing some pics of the feeder I bought. It's from Duncan's Poultry. I spray painted it to match the metal roof color. It's a nice feeder and it fits a whole bag of feed. The girls don't dig out the feed and they can still all eat together. I like how it hangs out of the way.

I got oasis cups for their waterer and put them on a nice bucket with screw lid. Still debating switching to nipples for cleanliness, but I think they like being able to take a big swig of water. I mostly just take my hand and sweep out the cups to clean them. They work really well in general. Glad I put two out, because someone will poo in one sometimes. I might add a nipple to the bucket just to see what it's like for them.

Last pic of my girls and me. Just about every day they take a nap with mom. Lap is getting a little small, but they still all try to cram on there. When I started this chicken thing I never expected them to be so cuddly. I think they appreciate not having to worry about getting eaten for an hour. :)

Anyhoo, hope people found this thread helpful. It was a fun project, though I wish I had started before I got the chicks and not after! Haha!

Hi Crowber,
Thank you so much for the SketchUp you sent us in May. It gave us a head start and the encouragement that building a Carolina Coop alike is an attainable task. It's a lot of hard work though. We made changes to some of the measurements according to our needs. We also modify the area under the hen house into storage drawers. Not everything is complete, we're still working on it. Here are some pictures to share with you and the community. We're now working on the Nesting Box. Do you have any measurements of it to share with us? It will be of great help to us. It's quite a complicated task. Our chicks are 13 weeks old, they'll be laying soon. 😅

View attachment 2246536

View attachment 2246537

View attachment 2246538
Beautiful job! We are about to build our coop and would love a copy of your sketch up plans if you wouldn't mind sharing! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom