Crowber's Pandemic Coop - Carolina coop knockoff

Pics

crowber

Chirping
Apr 1, 2020
Seattle, WA
My Coop
My Coop
Hi everyone, thought I'd finally take a moment to share my progress on my coop!

I'm one of the ones who bought pandemic chickens. Chickens were always something I wanted to do, and this seemed like a good time to finally jump in. :) We bought four chicks, with the idea that they would be inside for a while and I could build their coop and finish it in time for the move out. Well, maybe not the smartest way to go about things, but I like working with a deadline. The downside is that I have less time to play with the chicks because I'm so busy building their coop.

After googling everything about chickens and coops, I decided I like the idea of the Carolina Coops - the run is well-protected, so you don't have to worry about shutting them into their coop at night or letting them out in the morning. And the way the coop is meant to use the deep litter method. Both of those things appealed to me as a lazy person. So I stalked their website and deciphered their coops so I could build one of my own. It turns out they are very simple to build for the most part, as they are very modular and comprised of panels that are about 6'x6'. Everything is held together with a plethora of pocket screws. I have a Kreg jig already, so this was easy and familiar to work with. No posts to set.

Still, these coops are a lot of work to make! Definitely see where they get their price tag. So it's worth the cost if you just would like it built for you.

At first I wasn't sure if I'd make their American Coop or their Carolina Coop. In the end I chose American for simplicity (on a deadline remember) and also I prefer that the walls on the american coop are fastened to the inside - it means that the inside walls are smooth without a lot of framework surfaces that I would have to clean poop off of.

My plans didn't come out exactly right, I think mine is a bit taller because I wanted the run space under the coop to have a wee bit more headroom and so I had to make an adjustment to the chicken door side so that it wouldn't absurdly high off the ground. Also made the chicken door bigger since I have a couple of jersey giants.

I couldn't find any black pvc-coated hardware cloth. So I just bought regular and painted it black. Highly recommend taking the time to do this, it makes it invisible and you can see right through the coop. In the final pic below, the coop side has got it fastened on already and you can barely see it.

Got majority of it done but the roof is next! My chickens feathered out early and could've gone out at 5 weeks, so now they're still in my house for no reason. Hoping to be done within the week. Let me know if you have any questions!

Attachments

• 20200420_195836.jpg
    20200420_195836.jpg
    389.4 KB · Views: 276
  • 20200426_162154.jpg
    20200426_162154.jpg
    525.9 KB · Views: 196
  • 20200426_162225.jpg
    20200426_162225.jpg
    458.7 KB · Views: 224
  • 20200504_143741.jpg
    20200504_143741.jpg
    639.7 KB · Views: 222
Finished enough of the coop that I could stick my babies in it and get them out of my living room. The roof is on, the windows and all the crazy coop doors. Just need to finish the run screening, run door, and chicken ladder.

In retrospect, it would have been a bizillion times easier to put all the door hardware on when it was horizontal. There are 5 doors on one side! Looks slick, but boy is it a pain!

I had to get the polycarbonate custom cut for the windows, that ran me about 59 for all four windows. Totally didn't even consider that expense when I was planning.

Glad to have the girls in more space than a cardboard box. It was getting ridiculous having them in there, especially since one of the Jersey Giants is already ginormous. I did put their existing box in with them for their first night and I will take it out tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20200513_182851.jpg
    20200513_182851.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 128
  • 20200513_183724.jpg
    20200513_183724.jpg
    457.4 KB · Views: 120
  • 20200513_182251.jpg
    20200513_182251.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 119
Hi Crowber,
Your coop looks wonderful. We just started rearing chicks 3 weeks ago and are looking to build our coop. I looked around and also love the Carolina Coop. Am thinking of building it too. My husband is the one with some basic wood skills and tools. I saw the pictures you post. They look great! I started off getting a coop plan from Esty.com (before I decide on Carolina Coop design) and was thinking of tweeting it from there to a Carolina Coop but it seems quite different. I wonder if you have a plan of your coop that you are okay to share with us? Thanks much!
I'll message you my SketchUp drawing. Though honestly if I had to do it again, id do things a bit differently. Simpler roof, simpler doors. I don't know that I'd recommend the build unless one has some experience building things like this and has a LOT of tools. This took me several weeks to build and I was working on it constantly, so if you already have chicks that will be going out soon you might want to find a simpler option like repurposing a cute shed/playhouse. Just want you to know what you're up against! :)

Excellent job - really impressed you've done it so quickly as well - it's taking me months!

I don't see any egg boxes? On the back?
I had to build fast because I got the chicks first haha! I've literally been waking at 7 and working until 8pm frantically trying to get this done so I could get the chickens out of my living room.

The nest box will be on the back side, but I haven't built it yet. Will finish the run first and then tackle that.

Very nice, I dig it. But I've always wonder why people don't just build it larger. I mean, you've already committed yourself to hours upon hours with a project...... why not just go ahead and make it as big as you possibly can, within reason? It's not like it requires that much more effort or energy into it (for the most part), yes, a bit more expensive in the end but worth the energy and time put into the build!. Know what I mean?
I am in the city and limited to 6 chickens. This is plenty of square footage for 6. The coop house is 4*6 and the total run footprint is 6*12. Over 7 feet tall at the peak. It's hard to see the scale from the pics, but it's huge.

Hi Crowber,
Thank you so much for the SketchUp you sent us in May. It gave us a head start and the encouragement that building a Carolina Coop alike is an attainable task. It's a lot of hard work though. We made changes to some of the measurements according to our needs. We also modify the area under the hen house into storage drawers. Not everything is complete, we're still working on it. Here are some pictures to share with you and the community. We're now working on the Nesting Box. Do you have any measurements of it to share with us? It will be of great help to us. It's quite a complicated task. Our chicks are 13 weeks old, they'll be laying soon. 😅

IMG_4077.jpg

IMG_4078.jpg

IMG_4079.jpg

As the owner of a purple coop, I love the purple. Are you planning to leave the gaps at the top part of the coop section open for ventilation as you currently have it?
Yes those are windows on 3 sides which will have hinged-at-the-top windows that you can adjust depending on weather. They are already screened with hardware cloth, but I still need to build the window frame insets and get the polycarbonate for those.

Back
Top Bottom