Crowber's Pandemic Coop - Carolina coop knockoff

Pics

crowber

Chirping
Apr 1, 2020
Seattle, WA
My Coop
My Coop
Hi everyone, thought I'd finally take a moment to share my progress on my coop!

I'm one of the ones who bought pandemic chickens. Chickens were always something I wanted to do, and this seemed like a good time to finally jump in. :) We bought four chicks, with the idea that they would be inside for a while and I could build their coop and finish it in time for the move out. Well, maybe not the smartest way to go about things, but I like working with a deadline. The downside is that I have less time to play with the chicks because I'm so busy building their coop.

After googling everything about chickens and coops, I decided I like the idea of the Carolina Coops - the run is well-protected, so you don't have to worry about shutting them into their coop at night or letting them out in the morning. And the way the coop is meant to use the deep litter method. Both of those things appealed to me as a lazy person. So I stalked their website and deciphered their coops so I could build one of my own. It turns out they are very simple to build for the most part, as they are very modular and comprised of panels that are about 6'x6'. Everything is held together with a plethora of pocket screws. I have a Kreg jig already, so this was easy and familiar to work with. No posts to set.

Still, these coops are a lot of work to make! Definitely see where they get their price tag. So it's worth the cost if you just would like it built for you.

At first I wasn't sure if I'd make their American Coop or their Carolina Coop. In the end I chose American for simplicity (on a deadline remember) and also I prefer that the walls on the american coop are fastened to the inside - it means that the inside walls are smooth without a lot of framework surfaces that I would have to clean poop off of.

My plans didn't come out exactly right, I think mine is a bit taller because I wanted the run space under the coop to have a wee bit more headroom and so I had to make an adjustment to the chicken door side so that it wouldn't absurdly high off the ground. Also made the chicken door bigger since I have a couple of jersey giants.

I couldn't find any black pvc-coated hardware cloth. So I just bought regular and painted it black. Highly recommend taking the time to do this, it makes it invisible and you can see right through the coop. In the final pic below, the coop side has got it fastened on already and you can barely see it.

Got majority of it done but the roof is next! My chickens feathered out early and could've gone out at 5 weeks, so now they're still in my house for no reason. Hoping to be done within the week. Let me know if you have any questions!

Attachments

• 20200420_195836.jpg
    20200420_195836.jpg
    389.4 KB · Views: 279
  • 20200426_162154.jpg
    20200426_162154.jpg
    525.9 KB · Views: 197
  • 20200426_162225.jpg
    20200426_162225.jpg
    458.7 KB · Views: 225
  • 20200504_143741.jpg
    20200504_143741.jpg
    639.7 KB · Views: 223
As the owner of a purple coop, I love the purple. Are you planning to leave the gaps at the top part of the coop section open for ventilation as you currently have it?
Yes those are windows on 3 sides which will have hinged-at-the-top windows that you can adjust depending on weather. They are already screened with hardware cloth, but I still need to build the window frame insets and get the polycarbonate for those.

Hi everyone, thought I'd finally take a moment to share my progress on my coop!

I'm one of the ones who bought pandemic chickens. Chickens were always something I wanted to do, and this seemed like a good time to finally jump in. :) We bought four chicks, with the idea that they would be inside for a while and I could build their coop and finish it in time for the move out. Well, maybe not the smartest way to go about things, but I like working with a deadline. The downside is that I have less time to play with the chicks because I'm so busy building their coop.

After googling everything about chickens and coops, I decided I like the idea of the Carolina Coops - the run is well-protected, so you don't have to worry about shutting them into their coop at night or letting them out in the morning. And the way the coop is meant to use the deep litter method. Both of those things appealed to me as a lazy person. So I stalked their website and deciphered their coops so I could build one of my own. It turns out they are very simple to build for the most part, as they are very modular and comprised of panels that are about 6'x6'. Everything is held together with a plethora of pocket screws. I have a Kreg jig already, so this was easy and familiar to work with. No posts to set.

Still, these coops are a lot of work to make! Definitely see where they get their price tag. So it's worth the cost if you just would like it built for you.

At first I wasn't sure if I'd make their American Coop or their Carolina Coop. In the end I chose American for simplicity (on a deadline remember) and also I prefer that the walls on the american coop are fastened to the inside - it means that the inside walls are smooth without a lot of framework surfaces that I would have to clean poop off of.

My plans didn't come out exactly right, I think mine is a bit taller because I wanted the run space under the coop to have a wee bit more headroom and so I had to make an adjustment to the chicken door side so that it wouldn't absurdly high off the ground. Also made the chicken door bigger since I have a couple of jersey giants.

I couldn't find any black pvc-coated hardware cloth. So I just bought regular and painted it black. Highly recommend taking the time to do this, it makes it invisible and you can see right through the coop. In the final pic below, the coop side has got it fastened on already and you can barely see it.

Got majority of it done but the roof is next! My chickens feathered out early and could've gone out at 5 weeks, so now they're still in my house for no reason. Hoping to be done within the week. Let me know if you have any questions!
Wow yours looks good .pandemic chicken mama here.. It's a buck list thing really for me but I'm only in it for the challenge. Like Keep chickens alive & healthy .lost 1st 4 baby Chicks from TSC ( unreal the amount of illness and parasites they can get upon reading and reading), build tractor/ coop, don't make neighbors mad :he, PREDATORS ........

Attachments

• 20200505_182431.jpg
    20200505_182431.jpg
    710.2 KB · Views: 201
Hi LavenderHen and Crowber. I would love to see photos of your completed purple coop and tractor. I am hatching "pandemic" chicks and will need something soon for them as well.
Letting my 12 year old pick the colors (she will probably go with blue).
What you have posted looks great!

I used to have a purple house in Seattle, this coop is an homage to that!
Looks like we have a lot of purple coops going on - if you have a purple coop, lemme see it!

Forgot to take pics today, but got the supports for the roof all ready to be put up. Hopefully get those on top tomorrow if it doesn't rain too much. Tasked my son with making the door, chicken ladder, and a swing.

Took the girls outside since it was sunny and introduced them to their future home. The coop has all the screening done in the run underneath, and they loved hanging out under there. It seems to get the perfect amount of sun in the afternoon, half in the sun/half in the shade. I felt bad bringing them back inside, I'm trying to hurry girls! Hopefully finish your new place before the weekend!

Attaching a pic of them at 4 weeks old (they are 6 weeks old now), perched on the side of their cardboard brooder. They love looking out the window, so I'm glad this coop will have a lot of 'em. Jezebel and London are Jersey giants, Johanna is an easter egger, Penny is a speckled sussex. Everyone keeps telling me Penny looks like a rooster and I hope not because she is the cuddliest one. I think London might be though because she is 50% bigger than her sister and doesn't act like the others.

Attachments

• 20200422_080157_2.jpg
    20200422_080157_2.jpg
    429 KB · Views: 183
I used to have a purple house in Seattle, this coop is an homage to that!
Looks like we have a lot of purple coops going on - if you have a purple coop, lemme see it!

That's pretty awesome - I plan on painting our house purple at some point (not PURPLE but a more muted, neutral-ish purplish gray maybe).

Here's my purple coop:
coopnew1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom