Crowing all night!!! Help, please.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickenmaven, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    After more than a couple rehomings and the recent death of one rooster, I finally have an ideal couple of roosters. Krusty is a standard Ameraucana. He is very protective and courtly toward his hens. Most importantly, he shows no aggression to DD & I. Oh, and he is really handsome! [​IMG] The only roo handsomer than Krusty is our other roo, Mr. Angel, a fluffy white silkie. The two boys have divied up their turf and the hens. Krusty has no interest in our silkie hens; Mr. Angel is too teeny to attend to our standards. The two groups lead parallel lives. Perfect!

NO NOT QUITE! Not quiet!!! In the past couple weeks, one of the roosters has started crowing all night long. I think it is the Silkie. The crowing starts at about 3 a.m. My coop is a bunker...literally. It is a cinderblock building. The building cannot control the din. Hubby is gonna crack, soon! [​IMG] Can't blame him.

Does anyone have any ideas of why a roo would crow all night? Would playing a radio help? Should I lock the roos in pet carriers at night?

2. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Is there a light on at night? If so...turn it off. Can they hear any outside noise? Ours only crow at night when we have a bonfire....I guess they're telling us to keep it down out there! lol

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Any chance something is bothering him? Mice, rats, raccoons walkin' on the roof or lookin' through the windows?

Pat

4. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    There are no windows, but we do have prowling cats in our neighborhood.

Oh, and I just figured out that it is the bigger roo. My sleepless night burned the sound of crowing on my brain. I swear, if my car had a trunk, I'd start locking him in it! [​IMG]

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I had a roo that did that too, I finally realized that the porch light was the problem it stopped when I turned the light out it stopped. A full moon or a bright moon will also do it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by