crowing at night?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gale65, Oct 6, 2011.

1. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

DH said this morning, when it was still dark out, he heard Cosmo crowing (they were still locked up in the coop). Then tonight he heard him crowing at least 3 times around 11 pm. Is this normal? Hormones, maybe? He is about 19 weeks old.

2. PixieChixie

PixieChixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Not sure- we cant have roosters here, but I would say that its just because he is still youngish. He'll probably figure it out soon enough. [​IMG]

3. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:It maybe normal for Cosmos. [​IMG]

I had a roo that would crow in the dark coop when I would forget and laugh out loud. Crazy thing had me trying to whisper all the time in my home so he wouldn't crow and wake the neighbors. [​IMG]

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Its normal > He might of seen a light or heard something & started crowing. You would think he'd shut up so nothing would hear him. But nope they crow instead.

5. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Some roos will crow at anytime. [​IMG]

6. chickmashnoon

chickmashnoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine crows at night when I take the dog out. I think it's his way of telling me he sees something and is still watching over his girls. Not sure if he knows it's me after dark, I kinda assume it's a territory thing to scare off anyone that may be thinking of sneaking up on him.

7. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    yep, 2am, get up to the bathroom, flip on the light, they all start in!
    I've even had them in a dark cardboard box in the trunk of my car FOR A SHORT TRIP, and they crow!

8. shanshan51

shanshan51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Vacaville, CA
    Mine is the same. We try not to turn our lights on at night after we go to bed. Both boys wake up and announce that they see the light lol

9. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    My husband and I were looking at the stars the other night at around 11:30 p.m. The rooster heard us talking, and started crowing. Like, "HEY! I'm SLEEPIN' here!" [​IMG]

10. flitter

flitter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine would hear coyotes calling this summer and answer them. Probably not smart, huh?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by