Crowing at young age question. . . .

snooptwomey

Songster
8 Years
Aug 26, 2011
Newark, DE
I have two 6.5 week old EE's that I hatched out, from diff hens eggs. One is all black(feathered in slow), and the other all sorts of colors. The black ones comb started turning red at like 2.5 weeks old so I assume a roo. The other one which looks to have some buff, red, black, grey all mixed in but is mainly a buff/cream color with some red and grey thrown in, and then a gold laced-black head/hackles. That ones comb is still the yellow/light pink color(this one feathered in extremely fast), I was assuming this one was a pullet due to fast feathering and the yellow/pink comb still at 6.5 weeks old. The black one started crowing last week, sounded hilarious, when we werent around them for a little while and then they heard one of us near the room where they are he would start crowing to alert his crew, Well now the cream/red/black one is doing it too, they go back and forth. Does that def mean they are both roo's? Or has anyone had one do this to try copying the other? They used to be able to hear my adult roo crow all day.

they have both been crowing for like a week now. They just turned 7 weeks old yestereday and today. Both EE's. First 2 chicks I ever hatched out. Wasnt expecting to have to hear these guys crowing all the time yet. The one on the right I was thinking was a pullet, comb is just starting to change color where as the black ones comb turned red right before he hit 3 weeks old, and he feathered in was slower than the one on the right. Any way the one on the right is a confused pullet and only crowing since the black one is? They are in with 2 jersey giant chicks that are 2 weeks younger and i hope if i have a roo out of the giants that they dont start crowing soon too. I will attach a better shot of the one on the right in a few

i will try to get one with a closer shot of the hackle feathers, it looks like they may come to a point like a roo's will. the coloring on the head, hackles is a black laced on a goldish/red base, and the rest of the body has alot of grey, red, buff, black. All mixed up colors lol

Back
Top Bottom