Crowing hen... really!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Stephine, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Stephine

Stephine Songster

May 30, 2016
    Sonoma
    I posted before the fire that one of the hens in my coop was starting to crow along with the roo. It was a lousy crow in comparison, but she was crowing. I heard it a few days in a row but she‘d only do it when in the coop ao I never saw who it was. Most of my eggs look the same so except for the Welsumers I can‘t really tell who’s laying what or who might not be laying at all. Now after the fire I have not heard the crowing hen anymore. Bizarre. I thought if it was a physical thing for the hen it wouldn’t just go away again. Or would a hen ever crow to assert her standing? The roo was relatively new and a year younger (still a cockerel, at 5-6 months). Just wondering...

2. Kessel23

Kessel23 Hi Bug

Feb 6, 2018
    Hi Hannah
    Usually hens start to crow once they stop laying, I think it is the result of some hormonal thing, maybe.... I have a young cockerel who also only crows inside the coop, he just started a few days ago. I'm not sure why he does it but I have not seen him crow while out in the run or out free ranging, just in the coop.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Stephine likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: