Crowing hen *sigh*

HorseFeathers

Frazzled
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
Southern Maine
Poor confused Olympia. As lead hen, her voice already changed to a more garbling tone (we've noticed that all lead hens have this peculiar voice) but the CROWING? (yes, we are absolutely certain she is a hen, she is a very good layer too.) I know this happens sometimes but sheesh! We're a little worried because we live in a rather residential neighborhood... Will the crowing continue or will it just be once in a while?

My two year-old hens crowed last spring, every morning. Not as loud as a rooster, but close. By June, they'd tapered off. The last few mornings, they've been at it again!!!! Hopefully, the neighbors wont mind too much; free eggs always help!

My broody 11 hen crows every morning! It drives me crazy, it wakes me up before the sun even shines! I've gotten used to her crowing and the neighbors laugh!

I finally had to re-home a crowing hen and now another has taken her place and is sounding just like the old one. I wish the blue roo would just grow up and take charge but he basically is low on the totem and only has 4 or 5 hens (of the 18) that run from him. Good thing is, he still doesn't crow!

Horsefeathers, I have to post, even though this has nothing to do with the thread, that I LOVE your hen names! I had an Ophelia for several weeks, but she started crowing.... and it turned out "she" WAS a rooster. Now he's Oberon.
sad.png
A beautiful boy, and just as prissy as he was when he earned himself the name Ophelia.
big_smile.png

my l/s hen has just this morning started crowing why oh why has she suddenly decided to do this???

Back
Top Bottom