"Crowing" hens? Weird sinuses?

Pics

KranK

Songster
Jul 13, 2020
Poland
Two of my hens started "crowing". Something like an unexperienced rooster. The funny thing is that both are black stars. One has gone broody and the second one (the first to start crowing) is laying eggs, so they aren;t roos. They even bent their necks like roosters. Idk if it is some kind of disease (the broody one is squeeking, like something is stuck in her throat, but i couldn't see anything). The laying one's sinuses arent sunken like chickens sinuses should be, but they arent swollen. They are like a straight line leading to eyes. No foamy eyes, no discharge, but as i noticed she's drinking weird. She closes her eyes, puts her head higher than other hens and she's somettimes seen with her eyes closed. Any idea about crowing and the second one?
PS. the laying one isn't skinny. She's normal i would say.

Two of my hens started "crowing". Something like an unexperienced rooster. The funny thing is that both are black stars. One has gone broody and the second one (the first to start crowing) is laying eggs, so they aren;t roos. They even bent their necks like roosters. Idk if it is some kind of disease (the broody one is squeeking, like something is stuck in her throat, but i couldn't see anything). The laying one's sinuses arent sunken like chickens sinuses should be, but they arent swollen. They are like a straight line leading to eyes. No foamy eyes, no discharge, but as i noticed she's drinking weird. She closes her eyes, puts her head higher than other hens and she's somettimes seen with her eyes closed. Any idea about crowing and the second one?
PS. the laying one isn't skinny. She's normal i would say.
Please get a video of them or take some photos of the nostrils so we can see what you are talking about.

Have you checked both hens to make sure their crops are emptying overnight?

I'll try to record them but its hard to catch. The nostrils are clear i think but i'm gonna try to make photo too. I can't really check the crop things cuz in the morning i'm at school by the time i should let the hens out. (Grandpa does it), but i'll ask him. As i noticed they make some "Crows" in a row, just like roosters.

Heres the video, couldn't catch a full crow but th broody one often does something like this, like she couldn't make a full crow. The other one makes a full one often.

Photo of the not-broody-one's head (she was moving too much + i couldn't take a good photo of nostrils...)
1600184640009.png

Heres the video, couldn't catch a full crow but th broody one often does something like this, like she couldn't make a full crow. The other one makes a full one often.
Look inside their beaks for obstruction, lesions or canker.
I would go out early before school and check to see if the crops are empty before they eat/drink - you can probably gauge it well enough.

That's more of cough/sneeze type of thing. It looks like she has a bit of facial swelling.
Did you have problems with respiratory illness a while back? If you did, did you treat the hens?

Does she lay eggs? Any bloat/fluid in the abdomen?

The one from the photo lays eggs, the broody one doesnt ofc. I can't really go to chickens in the morning as i need to be on the bus stop on 6:40, and we let out chickens a bit later now. No bloatin and fluid. Maybe they have some swelling, but im not an expert. I has some kind of a virus disease in the flock some weeks ago, and vet gave us a powder to dillute in water and spray the coop with. Some chickens even died from the disease but it didn't show any symptoms similiar to this crowing. What should i search for in the beak?

Back
Top Bottom