"Crowing" hens? Weird sinuses?

Pics

KranK

Songster
Jul 13, 2020
Poland
Two of my hens started "crowing". Something like an unexperienced rooster. The funny thing is that both are black stars. One has gone broody and the second one (the first to start crowing) is laying eggs, so they aren;t roos. They even bent their necks like roosters. Idk if it is some kind of disease (the broody one is squeeking, like something is stuck in her throat, but i couldn't see anything). The laying one's sinuses arent sunken like chickens sinuses should be, but they arent swollen. They are like a straight line leading to eyes. No foamy eyes, no discharge, but as i noticed she's drinking weird. She closes her eyes, puts her head higher than other hens and she's somettimes seen with her eyes closed. Any idea about crowing and the second one?
PS. the laying one isn't skinny. She's normal i would say.

Heres the video, couldn't catch a full crow but th broody one often does something like this, like she couldn't make a full crow. The other one makes a full one often.
Look inside their beaks for obstruction, lesions or canker.
I would go out early before school and check to see if the crops are empty before they eat/drink - you can probably gauge it well enough.

That's more of cough/sneeze type of thing. It looks like she has a bit of facial swelling.
Did you have problems with respiratory illness a while back? If you did, did you treat the hens?

Does she lay eggs? Any bloat/fluid in the abdomen?

I don't know name cuz he gave us some i'd say he shouldn't, cuz in Poland we don't have many chicken remedies sold in quantities suitable for small flocks, so he got some in the steril bag and gave us.
I agree that's more of a sneeze or cough than a crowing lady.

The truth is there aren't that many chicken remedies.. that work and certainly not for something that's viral.

Sorry you face this! These things are best supported through good nutrition (not diminished by so called healthy treats) to support the birds own immune system.. IMO.

Posting a video of a hen crowing for comparison..

Sorry for your losses! :hugs

Hopefully those left will be strong. :fl

You can brew some tea for your chickens which will help to alleviate the symptoms and speed up the recovery process: oregano, thyme, sage and some aniseed. Let the tea steep for at least 3-4 hours before serving instead of water. You may add some poultry vitamins to it as well.

Edit to add link: https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...ry-nutrition/01D8DC8F03A296709438E07F6B2AB4E9

" O. vulgare as a poultry feed supplement has had an antimicrobial, antioxidant, antiviral, immunomodulatory and antiparasitic effect. "

Last edited:
I'll try to record them but its hard to catch. The nostrils are clear i think but i'm gonna try to make photo too. I can't really check the crop things cuz in the morning i'm at school by the time i should let the hens out. (Grandpa does it), but i'll ask him. As i noticed they make some "Crows" in a row, just like roosters.

It may be coloring in the roof of the beak since they are symetrical.

The only thing I could suggest since you are in Poland is to seek vet care. I know sometimes that's not an option or it's very expensive. If it's respiratory, an antibiotic may help treat symptoms, but meds are not a cure.

When the weekend comes and you aren't in school, try to check their crops at least on one morning.

Clean fresh plain water, fresh feed. If housing needs ventilation add some and clean up any extra droppings (ammonia from poop can irritate the respiratory system).
Do what you can.

Actually the vet has discovered that one of my hens had died of a virus disease by doing a necropsy.
Do you have a copy of the necropsy report? Can you recall the name of the viral disease?

A list of the most common ones..
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

A fairly extensive list with links to descriptions..
https://thepoultrysite.com/publications/diseases-of-poultry/217/vitamin-b2-deficiency

Have you had a fecal float done.. or tested or treated for internal parasites?

Back
Top Bottom