crows and hawks

I take my African Grey Parrots to a vet who has a crow for a pet. The bird was injured and she rescued it and has owned it for several years. I wish I could remember that bird's name.... But she brings him to work with her and when you go into the inner office area she will be roosting up high above everyone just sitting there --- ominous..... Good bird vet though...

Last edited:
Quote:
Ditto. I haven't had any problem with crows trying to get in my coops (where I keep my feeders). My hens lay their eggs in the coops, so if the crows aren't going in there.... I think my roosters, who allow the crows around but don't totally trust them, would be more than willing to go up against a crow that got too pushy.

Blue Jays do much the same, I've got a good flock of them here at my house because I feed black oilers. My flock knows the "alarm" cry from them and always take cover when they hear it. I also have crows, both do a very good job with the hawks.
Now and again though, the hawk comes in low under their radar.....lost my Mama hen last fall that way. But when I hear crows or the jays going, I always come out and look

If you're interested in a good book about crows read Lyanda Lynn Haupt's: Crow Planet: Essential Wisdom From the Urban Wilderness

Quote:

But that's just the thing: they do take care of the hawks on their own, and it's awesome. I feel completely comfortable letting my four girls free range all day (even when I'm away for a few hours). If I end up losing one or all to a hawk attack, I will know that they were able to live the best life possible. Besides, I figure that even if I was home and did hear the crows signaling, it's not like I could act any faster than a hawk is going to strike. I couldn't live like that always having to listen anyway. Maybe I'll be singing a different tune when it does happen to me, but for now I live in ignorant bliss.

Quote:
You either have them or don't. I have a family that keeps fairly close but they disappear for several days at a time. BTW, owls, hawks and eagles will kill crows if they can catch them. Usually, however, they mob them with so many birds at a time that it keeps the raptor from zeroing in on a single crow. Also I suspect, given the crow's intelligence, that only the dumb, inexperienced crows get caught and the others learn from it.

Here is a good little short article on feeding crows. http://www.birdhouses101.com/bird-Crow.asp And some explanation why they take eggs on occasion. By the way I have Ravens which fly in smaller family groups. I absolutely adore both. Very intellegent problem solvers.

A few years back I had a Turkey who was a big goof ball. Hed fluff up and try to intimidate you. As soon as you took a step toward him he would skitter off. His name was Mr T. One day I heard a big ruckus Wings flapping and scratching and I go into the coop and here is Mr T Beating the crap out of a chicken.... so I thought. Mr. T had done this before with a Srappy mean rooster.

Mr T was using his wings and feet and beak. I reached in and pulled Mr T off only to find a dead young raven that had been driven into the corner. His eyes were shut and he was on his back. So I go to Pick him up to dispose of the "body".

He opened one eye. Saw me and Shut it immediately. He was cold too bout this time of year its cold in the morinings. He was ice cold. So I turned him over and wrapped him up under my jacket and went over to the porch to sit while he warmed up. Id peek now and then his eyes were open but as soon as hed see me theyd shut again. I suspect he was trying to figure out if I was going to hurt him too. There was no blood his wings worked. I gently pulled them out and he didnt resist. It took about a half hour before he moved on his own. I took him out to the drive and tried to set him in the tree. He hopped right down took one look at me and the last I saw of him he was walking down the driveway Toward Mexico.

It was then that I realized why my eggs were disappearing on occasion. I dont begrudge them. My next coop will be safe from that kind of predation.

We have kites in the area but they don't tend to go for the chickens, however the other day we kept seeing crows looking at our chicken coop and then we found a crow feather inside the coop! But thankfully none of the birds were hurt, I think a chicken's peck scared it off!

Back
Top Bottom