Crows chasing off hawks

Layniep3

Chirping
May 10, 2020
I have recently seen crows/ravens chasing hawks away from my chickens on at least two different occasions. One of those times they actually got the hawk to drop the chicken that it was flying away with! My girls are all full grown and sizeable. Should I try to encourage the crows to continue their hawk watch or discourage them from coming around?

I saw 4 Bald Eagles go right over my coop yesterday they live right behind us in the woods

crows and hawks are mortal enemies. hawks will even mistake black chickens as crows (the whole reason i bought black jersey giants) i personally would encourage it. whole peanuts and cat food seems to be my crows favorites. dont be surprised if they start bringing you gifts though
Whats bring gifts include 😃

Crows do chase hawks and eagles away. They also will kill younger chickens and smaller animals like young rabbits (which I'm fine with, but some folks may find the idea of crows tearing apart a baby rabbit to be bothersome).

I personally don't encourage them to hang out as they leave a lot of debris in my yard (peanut shells is the favorite this season, not sure where they're bringing them in from) and they wreck havoc on my vegetable garden, pulling up plant markers and seedlings seemingly for the enjoyment of it all.

I can't maintain a vegetable garden any more so in that area I leave whole eggs out that I don't trust or don't need for them to find. I see them out in that area daily. I don't have small chicks that they can get to so no worries there. With large breed chickens free ranging around the farm I'm glad to have the crows to chase off hawks.

Back
Top Bottom