1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Crows Friend or Foe?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Drk_Wlf, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Drk_Wlf

Drk_Wlf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Chautauqua County, NY
    I purposely feed my damaged and overly dirty eggs to the local murder of crows. The crows in return chase off hawks and tend to dive bomb the fox if it comes around what they seem to deem their territory. Now when I went to research if other chicken keepers utilized their local crows in this manner all of found were articles on how to protect your chickens and their feed from crows. I have never had any problems with the crows attacking my chickens or eating their food. I've never even seen any of them land my backyard where my chickens are kept. Has anyone else found crows to be helpful in detouring other predators?

2. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    The crows living off at our neighbors chase the hawks and eagles off the front of our property where the chickens are. When I mow, it's like the crow call cause they all come over and wait for me to pass by in the section closest to their home. Then they drop down to get whatever was kicked up by my passing. As I mow they switch ends of the strip. I never have them over by the chickens on the ground. The chicken coop is a good 400 ft from where the crows like to feed in the mown grass.

The little sparrows are thieves, though. They will steal all the chicken food they can get their beaks on. Switching to pellets has helped with that some.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I don't feed the ones around here, but I might decide to if they'd let me know they were considering moving on to other real estate. Just the sound alone of the crows angry cawwwing sends my girls scurrying. Everytime I watch them divebombing and dancing around a hawk I wonder how/why the hawks don't retaliate????? I like the crows!! [​IMG]

4. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Crows can keep away birds of prey and other predators, but can eat chicks and occasionly steal feed. The last two are rare, so crows are generally a plus. Just today I saw a group of crows chasing a hawk, he, he. [​IMG] I would say crows are good to have around. [​IMG]

5. Shawnee_b

Shawnee_b Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2011
    So Central Kentucky
    Foe! They ate a pound or rare Italian red flint corn soon as it was 2" [​IMG]

6. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Lot of variables, but can be either depending on conditions, attitude, and environment.... They can be a very efficient and crafty predator when hungry

7. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I hate crows, ravens too

8. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    Crows.....a good thing. [​IMG]

Zaxby's2 :

Crows can keep away birds of prey and other predators, but can eat chicks and occasionly steal feed. The last two are rare, so crows are generally a plus. Just today I saw a group of crows chasing a hawk, he, he. [​IMG] I would say crows are good to have around. [​IMG]

9. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Foe

10. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Quote:Ravens here and they can be evil.... But harass hawks to insanity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by