Crows

melirobin

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 22, 2008
I have four 9 week old chickens, only one is a bantam. They are usually in their run but occasionally when I am able to stay in the yard (small and suburban) with them I will let them out for a bit before they go to bed.

Tonight when I did that I heard 4 very noisy crows land in a nearby tree. The tree is in my neighbors yard but only about 20 feet away. I was very nervous I had not seen or heard these crows before.

I clapped my hands loudly, flailed my arms around and shouted at them. They finally flew off.

Could they have been interested in my chickens? Are they all in danger from the crows or only the silky? Do crows attack in a group?

I can only tell you what I experienced here in the middle of 82 acres....when the crows start squawking it means another predator is around. I have seen them chase off hawks here many, many times. I have never once, had a crow go after any of my chickens, chooks or chicks and I have some silkies also.

Quote:
My 16 weeks olds really hate the crows. They run at them flapping their wings with their heads down, they hate them. Maybe them flying dumpster divers are after your chicken feed? Anyway, the crows have been in my yard since my ladies were month olds. But only recently have the ladies been chasing them out.

Last edited:
Crows are good to have around if you let your chickens forage at all. They keep all flying predators away.
A crow will NOT tolerate a hawk being anywhere near.
wink.png

I love crows. They always alert me and my free ranging chickens of hawks around. Blue Jays too. I've never had a crow get my free range chickens.

I agree and see it in action almost every day. I almost got rid of my crows but based on what someone said here, I left them alone. Yes, they are a nuisance to our songbirds but they do a great job pestering the large aerial predators.

My chickens (especially the alpha) will run the crows off when they go for the feeder.

You might end up feeding the crows here and there but I view it as a good tradeoff anyway....

Last edited:
Last year a mess of crows took up home here eating amaranth. Looks kind of spooky with all those crows lined up taking over the place. I like em
big_smile.png

we have 2 pairs of crows that almost always are in the trees on our property. And I am glad to have them. We always know if there is a flying predator, and like others have said...the crows keep them away.

We have a couple of hawks literally living in one of our trees because of the huge farm behind us. They follow right behind the machinery looking for some unsuspecting "treat". The red wing blackbirds annoy them by following them to get scraps, but when a group of crows come around, the hawks disappear. I'm not a big crow fan, but they are very intelligent. Have you all seen the video of a crow dropping a nut on a road and waiting until a car drove over it and broke it open for him? Then there's that hilarious windex commercial...ok, that's just a joke, but that is one funny commercial seeing them sit there while that guy walks right into the patio door.
lol.png
Anyway, my husband feeds a couple crows every now and then right out of his truck window in a couple of the gravel pits he hauls out of. They fly right up to the window and eat out of his hand...and they are HUGE! He needs to take our camera with him the next time he knows he's going to one of those particular pits. The reason it happens is because the loader operator guys, who are in those pits every day, have the birds trained to do that---it's a riot! Just thought I'd share...

Around here, the crows have gone so far as to beat up an eagle that was attacking my hens. There must have been half a dozen crows on top of the eagle and they kept pecking at it until it finally took off. A couple of the hens lost a lot of feathers, but no other injuries that time. They are worth having around.

Back
Top Bottom