Crud on head, long toenails

Kabraham54

In the Brooder
Oct 19, 2020
One of my chickens has yellowish crud on her face and comb, and also some very long toenails. See attached photos. She is about 2 1/2 years old. Any idea what the crud is and does it need treatment? Do I need to trim her claws, and if so, how do I do it? Thanks in advance for any advice.
D6D85B4E-5C0C-4604-B7AD-D6C44BCB8968.jpeg
F47173D7-A9B7-4BCA-A18A-2B4600DFF5E0.jpeg

The yellow looks like dried egg yolk - likely she's been eating eggs.
Just clean her off.

You can use dog toenail clippers to slowly start working on the nails, trim them regularly until you get them back into shape.

I would also work some vaseline into and underneath the scales of her legs and feet once a week - those raised scales could indicate Scaly Leg Mites. The vaseline will smother those.

Just clean her off.

You can use dog toenail clippers to slowly start working on the nails, trim them regularly until you get them back into shape.

I would also work some vaseline into and underneath the scales of her legs and feet once a week - those raised scales could indicate Scaly Leg Mites. The vaseline will smother those.

Agreed, 100%

Just clean her off.

x3

Back
Top Bottom