Brahma rooster blinded by pecking injury - when or if to reintroduce to flock, or seek veterinary care?

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
Hi, this gentle giant was blinded by a direct pecking injury from another rooster, maybe three weeks ago. I have been cleaning out the crud from his eye once or twice a day. Applied Terramycin each time for two weeks, now switched to Vetericyn antimicrobial eye wash. Also gave him oral lincomycin-spectinomycin for 5 days. See the photos of his eye. I can see that the muscles that move his injured eyeball still work in conjunction with the movement of the other working eye. He has a good appetite and is vocal and chatty. However the eyeball looks cloudy gray, all over, and there is a whitish goo in front. I am afraid to try to remove that whitish stuff. Is that mycoplasma, or food? The eye produces some yellowish crud every day. Does his eye need more time to recover, or will it remain permanently like this? Does he need surgery? Is it safe to reintroduce him to the flock? He has sired many XL pullets so I would like for him to reengage with the flock. Also, although he has been eating the same thing every day (layer feed), his poop color changed from gray-brown to green (though not bright emerald green). Any ideas why? Thanks.

His good eye:
IMG_20231217_055338692.jpg

His injured eye:
IMG_20231217_055252480.jpg

His injured eye:
IMG_20231217_055607354.jpg

Typical morning eye crud:
IMG_20231217_055718581.jpg

His poops:
IMG_20231217_055656188.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with both of the posters above. You need to clean out his eye as accumulated pus is prolonging infection and that can cause him to go blind if it goes on too long. And he should be on a good broad spectrum antibiotic.

You will not pop his eye ball out by removing the pus. The eye ball is firmly anchored in place by ligaments and muscles. It's not just floating in the eye socket. By exerting gentle pressure from the edges of the eye socket toward the eye, it will express the pus and you can then remove it with a small wad of sterile gauze. Then flush the eye afterward, and each day. Continue with the Terramycin antibiotic eye ointment twice a day along with the amoxicillin.

His poop is green because he isn't eating as much as he should so his liver is producing bile since it doesn't have enough actual food nutrients to work with. If he becomes too weak to eat, he may require tube feeding. But try to get him to eat by giving special foods such as cooked egg, yogurt, cooked rice, etc. Protein will provide more energy than pure carbs so keep that in mind.

He's probably depressed because he misses the hens. If you can place his crate where he can see them during the day and talk to them, it may help his appetite.

OK, thanks.
Is penicillin ok or does it have to be amoxicillin? This is what I have on hand and can start with him today (orally administered): https://www.hubersanimalhealth.com/product/penicillin-g-100-ml/. I also have liquid norocillin.
His cage is in the middle of the barn with his hens, and they come eat from his feeder. I will give him extra foods.
I will let you all know how it goes in a couple of days.

Try the penicillin. It's very close to amoxicillin. It depends on the bacteria if it's resistant to penicillin, though. You won't know until he's been on it for a few days if it appears to be working. In case he isn't showing improvement, a different antibiotic may be necessary.

Be aware that most eye infections that stem from injury are likely to be staph bacteria, and staph has become resistant to penicillin. If you see no improvement in three days, I would switch to amoxicillin without wasting any more time.

Thanks again for the info.
OK, got the pus out - thank you - there is still some white tissue on the top of the eye (the corner of his eye towards his beak). When I pull on that, there is some blood showing at its root, like it is attached to the eye. Should I forcefully remove this tissue?

Attachments

• rooster-eye.jpg
    rooster-eye.jpg
    411.7 KB · Views: 16
His poop is green because he isn't eating as much as he should so his liver is producing bile since it doesn't have enough actual food nutrients to work with. If he becomes too weak to eat, he may require tube feeding. But try to get him to eat by giving special foods such as cooked egg, yogurt, cooked rice, etc. Protein will provide more energy than pure carbs so keep that in mind.

He's probably depressed because he misses the hens. If you can place his crate where he can see them during the day and talk to them, it may help his appetite.
Nice call @azygous! I moved his crate into the nesting trailer, and he instantly started crowing nonstop, and eating. He is acting much happier. (His Brahma hens from his cohort are also in that part of the barn with the trailer. The rooster that injured him shared the same previous barn space.) Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom