Dying rooster - How to care for him in his last moments...?

Hmm. Maybe you could massage those muscles he is not using, lightly to begin with? Just to stimulate them, and remind his brain and nerves and muscles that they are there to be used?

Apache has of course done a lot of his rehab himself, but don't sell yourself short, he could not have done it on his own. Sit down and read your story from the beginning. You have been a VERY big, important part of his healing. You did not give up on him. You thought of original and unique ways to help him. You deserve a lot of credit. You saved him!

Hi!

Apache is doing great for the time being : he still has some difficulties, can not even run or walk for too long in one go... but when he is resting, he does so STANDING ON HIS FEET.
Indeed : only when he wants to sleep does he decide to sit on his hocks...!
(The fact he is now brave enough to sleep during the day, in spite of his condition, is a victory - just to say...!!)

Now he is able to walk again, Apache should take his time to first gain some more weight, so he could become stronger : in addition to "training", building muscles requires a great intake of proteins and calories... so, I don't think he will be running until he is much heavier...?
...He is at least gaining weight for now, so I really don't think it will be long before the boy is running...!

...Today, I took advantage of the warm weather to shower Apache. Just to clean his legs and butt...

When I dried him with the hair dry, I noticed he has two weird toe pads - that's new -; just some brown skin, roundish, looking like crusts, no bumbs thanksfully...
Honestly, my hands are much too damaged to feel the differences on the skin, so I can not tell if these weird things are hard to the touch or not...
...Did not look like some kind of bumblefoot, at least....? Nor did it seem severe, or bothering Apache...
I still put Cade Oil on these toes, and I probably will for the next days - just to be safe...!

Hmm. Maybe you could massage those muscles he is not using, lightly to begin with? Just to stimulate them, and remind his brain and nerves and muscles that they are there to be used?

I... so will...!
Thank you!!!

I will massage those muscles, but I am waiting for the time being for Apache to get a bit stronger, so I know I will not hinder his current progress...!

Apache has of course done a lot of his rehab himself, but don't sell yourself short, he could not have done it on his own. Sit down and read your story from the beginning. You have been a VERY big, important part of his healing. You did not give up on him. You thought of original and unique ways to help him. You deserve a lot of credit. You saved him!

You are very kind. Thank you.
And yet, I can't help feeling like I did not do so much...

Nevertheless, that's not important.
Whatever if I did help Apache so much or not : the fact he survived, then improved his health, is what matters.

Thank you again!

Hi!

I am sorry for not updating since last time : not only did I have no time, but I also - actually - had nothing to say but the fact Apache is, little by little, step by step, getting stronger and stronger...

But today, not one, but TWO very important things happened! Oh yeees...!!

First is the fact that Apache - I am happy to report! - has become a really real rooster again : indeed, he is now able to crow again!!

...He did crow first thing in the morning - or rather in the night, since he did so before dawn...
And, of course, now he can present himself like the singer he is... he kept going during the morning - crowing to his heart's content!

I'm seriously so happy...!!!

And now... second thing to report : my boy is bathing. All alone, like a big boy...!
And this time, by bathing, I mean DUST bathing : he is NOW lying on the grass, cleaning himself, and using his feet and legs to dig in the ground, and rolling...!!

Just... wooooow...
I mean... that's so impressive...! Today is a good day!!

...For the last weeks, Apache has been gaining weight, and walking in his part of the garden, and strenghtening his muscles...
And today, he can crow again, and take a dust bath...!

...Sadly, boy still is not able to get in and out of his coop by himself, or even to run... but... left like that? He will work out something for that...!
And then, when he is totally strong and healthy again, I will put him in with his friends! Hoping here my other rooster won't attack him anymore, of course...!!

Hi!

I am sorry for not updating since last time : not only did I have no time, but I also - actually - had nothing to say but the fact Apache is, little by little, step by step, getting stronger and stronger...
Great!
And then, when he is totally strong and healthy again, I will put him in with his friends! Hoping here my other rooster won't attack him anymore, of course...!!
Be prepared he does. Have a plan if he does.

Hi!

But today, not one, but TWO very important things happened! Oh yeees...!!

First is the fact that Apache - I am happy to report! - has become a really real rooster again : indeed, he is now able to crow again!!

...He did crow first thing in the morning - or rather in the night, since he did so before dawn...
And, of course, now he can present himself like the singer he is... he kept going during the morning - crowing to his heart's content!

I'm seriously so happy...!!!

And now... second thing to report : my boy is bathing. All alone, like a big boy...!
And this time, by bathing, I mean DUST bathing : he is NOW lying on the grass, cleaning himself, and using his feet and legs to dig in the ground, and rolling...!!

Just... wooooow...
I mean... that's so impressive...! Today is a good day!!

...For the last weeks, Apache has been gaining weight, and walking in his part of the garden, and strenghtening his muscles...
And today, he can crow again, and take a dust bath...!

...Sadly, boy still is not able to get in and out of his coop by himself, or even to run... but... left like that? He will work out something for that...!
:wee

Hello.

One of my Brahma rooster - my favorite, named Apache le Colosse - is dying.
(He is only around one-year-old.)

For some weeks now, he has been getting more and more paralyzed...

By elimination, and after all the care he had, there are only 3 causes possible :
1 -
an injury in his back,
2 - an injury in his head,
3 - (the aftermath) of a stroke.

I was previously persuaded it was certainly an injury in his back for two reasons : not only did he NOT fight with Rocky, my other rooster - so no risk to be injured in his head -; but he also had been getting better for the last days...
So, an injury in his back was logical to me...

Nevertheless, I understand now he was not actually healing these last days : indeed, it was actually, clearly, only the famous "energy boost" before death.

Since, this morning, Apache was finally in his worst condition ever!
Poor boy is clearly dying, since he has even been emptying his bowels...
(And I know this smell : it is Death.)

(So, Apache is very probably suffering from the aftermath of a stroke...)

...What do I know now?
He can't move anymore...

Here is how he is for now :

View attachment 3724254

And :

View attachment 3724255

He actually looks BETTER than ever if we only look at his face, since he is redder - normalish red - than these last weeks.
Indeed : yesterday, his comb was purple - what I now know being from frostbite -; today, his comb is a healthy red...
(...Why is Apache's purple-frobisted comb be so red now, just before his death?!)
Given he can not move anymore, he can obviously not eat or drink anymore... He actually do not want to eat OR drink...

...What can I do for him...?

I really can NOT put him down :
not only have I a terrible phobia of corpses, but even if it was not a problem for me... I NEVER put down an animal. I don't know HOW to do that, so I'm too much afraid I would miss and, ultimately, cause severe pain to Apache...

...I am not hand-feeding him for now, because he could be suffering... and I feel prolonging the inevitable, if it IS possible, would be cruel if he really is in pain - especially since it's winter, and the cold would then aggravate his pain...

But what do YOU think I should do?
What would YOU do...?

He is dying.
He can't be saved anymore...

How to care for him in his last momemts, so he could at least die as comfortably as possible?
Do I put him in his coop, so he can stay warm...?
Do I let him outside, so he can see his friends...?
Do I force him to drink water at least...?
...?
😞I'm so sorry.
I would bring him to the vet so that they could euthanize him and he wouldn't be in pain and suffering anymore.

Be prepared he does. Have a plan if he does.

Hmmmm... Apache and Rocky can at least see each other all day long...
For now, I feel lucky, because at least, Rocky is not even acting a tiny bit aggressive in spite of the fact Apache is still a bit weak...!

But when I will let Apache free-range with him and the hens...? I will totally monitor them : I don't trust Rocky, since the last times he attacked Apache, he also was not aggressive just until he decided to try being the dominant rooster...!

I will get some new hens in the next weeks, so I hope more females will help to keep Rocky in check, and avoid the risks of a bloodbath.

(I don't even know if my roosters could kill each other by fighting, since their spurs are still relatively short?!)

Oh sorry I didn't read the whole thing lol, I'm so glad he is getting better.

I am sorry : I can not update my first post, or even the title, to report the fact Apache has survived, and is healing...

...Thank you for your kindness!

Hello.

Apache is eating his first apple since... November or December (I don't remember)...!

I did give him one not long ago - counting here in weeks -, but he was not interested then...

But now...? I just gave him a red apple, and he is so happy and apparently finds it so delicious he already ate more than half of it...!!
I'm pretty sure he is going to eat the entire thing,
and it would actually be a first for him, since he NEVER has eaten any entire fruit I have given to him since I brought him home!

...Eating is living, and Apache is doing a good job of that...

Also, now he can crow again, he does so all day round!

Crowing and dust bathing, those are important milestones in Apache's recovery, you must be so pleased!

Oh yeeeeeeeees I am...!

I did not even thought he would be dust bathing BEFORE running...!!!
...And it means his legs muscles are actually stronger than I thought...!!!

Looks now like the remaining problem - not including here any calories intake and its physical benefits - is (still) located hips-level...
(But for now, let's just wait for Apache to gain more strenght AND more weight...!)

Back
Top Bottom