Dying rooster - How to care for him in his last moments...?

Hello!

So... again, I took my time to post news about Apache... because I actually had nothing new to report...!

But now, I am just going to say that : Apache was almost, ALMOST running yesterday...!

I actually have brought home five new hens three days ago, and... they are isolated in a run for the time being, but Apache can see them and go to them; and he was clearly really happy to meet new girls... obviously...
...And now, it looks to me like meeting these girls is motivating him to just... move more; and doing so, of course, helps him to strenghten his muscles so much so he is now walking faster and faster, and has almost been running SEVERAL TIMES since yesterday...!

I don't know if Apache is strong enough to mate with the hens, but I think when I will let the new hens out, I will put them with Apache instead of with Rocky and the other girls...
Maybe Apache will then try to mate them...? Would be a new victory...!!

Also, weird thing : two or three days ago, I catched Rocky to put him with Apache in his part of the garden, just to see if Apache looked now good enough for Rocky to not attack him anymore... and when they were together, boy really did not attack Apache; but instead, he did dance aroung him... like if he wanted to mate with him, you know...?
(Even though he did not try to physically MATE with Apache either...!)

...What does that mean? Looked weird, and I never saw a rooster have such a behaviour with another rooster...?!
Do I have to be worried about that...? I quickly separated the boys, because I was afraid Rocky would actually, eventually, attack Apache...

Hello!

So... again, I took my time to post news about Apache... because I actually had nothing new to report...!

But now, I am just going to say that : Apache was almost, ALMOST running yesterday...!

I actually have brought home five new hens three days ago, and... they are isolated in a run for the time being, but Apache can see them and go to them; and he was clearly really happy to meet new girls... obviously...
...And now, it looks to me like meeting these girls is motivating him to just... move more; and doing so, of course, helps him to strenghten his muscles so much so he is now walking faster and faster, and has almost been running SEVERAL TIMES since yesterday...!

I don't know if Apache is strong enough to mate with the hens, but I think when I will let the new hens out, I will put them with Apache instead of with Rocky and the other girls...
Maybe Apache will then try to mate them...? Would be a new victory...!!

Also, weird thing : two or three days ago, I catched Rocky to put him with Apache in his part of the garden, just to see if Apache looked now good enough for Rocky to not attack him anymore... and when they were together, boy really did not attack Apache; but instead, he did dance aroung him... like if he wanted to mate with him, you know...?
(Even though he did not try to physically MATE with Apache either...!)

...What does that mean? Looked weird, and I never saw a rooster have such a behaviour with another rooster...?!
Do I have to be worried about that...? I quickly separated the boys, because I was afraid Rocky would actually, eventually, attack Apache...
🤷‍♀️ This I do not know, I am no expert on rooster behavior but I know a one who is. Shadrach, can you help with this question?

Meanwhile I am so happy to hear of Apollo's continued improvement! Please do let us know how he does with the girls.

I've only read the first post and the last post from the OP. Pleased to read the rooster is recovering.
The dance is most likely to be the herding shuffle. The rooster sort of circles the other chicken kicking his offside leg out (leg furthest away from the other chicken). It's a possessive manouver rather than aggressive and roosters will do this to any chicken and some other creatures including humans as a sign that the other is a member of his group.
It would seem from the little I've read that Rocky is pleased to see Apollo back with the group. If Apollo is content to let Rocky be senior then all should be well for the time being.
If Apollo recovers enough to challenge Rocky then they'll fight.

I've only read the first post and the last post from the OP. Pleased to read the rooster is recovering.
The dance is most likely to be the herding shuffle. The rooster sort of circles the other chicken kicking his offside leg out (leg furthest away from the other chicken). It's a possessive manouver rather than aggressive and roosters will do this to any chicken and some other creatures including humans as a sign that the other is a member of his group.
It would seem from the little I've read that Rocky is pleased to see Apollo back with the group. If Apollo is content to let Rocky be senior then all should be well for the time being.
Wow. I had no idea that it was a herding maneuver! 😍

Cool! Thank you, Shadrach, good to know.

Hi!

Meanwhile I am so happy to hear of Apollo's continued improvement! Please do let us know how he does with the girls.

Thank you.

Apache is still isolated in his part of his garden, alone... : I tried to put him in with Rocky and the hens, three days ago... but Rocky did not want Apache with them...!!
He attacked him, again; so I am still keeping them separated for now... (Apache will not defend himself - poor boy!!)

As for the new hens...
I have decided to directly put them with the flock : Apache is sharing a part of the garden with some of my ducks, and since one of the drakes is so agressive with his girls, I was afraid putting the hens (chickens) with him, specifically, would result in agressive mating...
And chicken hens are so NOT made for taking drakes(' thing)...!!

Wooow... I so did not know about that...!!
Thank you for the explanation! (That is seriously so interesting...!!!)

I had brought Rocky and Apache home together, so even though they are not blood siblings, they totally are still brothers...
(Or were, at least...!)

I have put Apache with Rocky three days ago, but Rocky attacked the poor boy again; and Apache was whining, and not happy to be assaulted...

For now, Apache clearly is not strong enough to fight back, so I am still keeping the two roosters separated for the time being.

...Thanks to your explanation about Rocky's behaviour, I am not despairing by his last act of agression; and I now know he still likes Apache (or a healthy Apache, at least), and so : Apache really just needs to get stronger to be accepted by Rocky again... and he actually will!

(Maaaaan... what a journey...!)

Hi!

Thank you.

Apache is still isolated in his part of his garden, alone... : I tried to put him in with Rocky and the hens, three days ago... but Rocky did not want Apache with them...!!
He attacked him, again; so I am still keeping them separated for now... (Apache will not defend himself - poor boy!!)

As for the new hens...
I have decided to directly put them with the flock : Apache is sharing a part of the garden with some of my ducks, and since one of the drakes is so agressive with his girls, I was afraid putting the hens (chickens) with him, specifically, would result in agressive mating...
And chicken hens are so NOT made for taking drakes(' thing)...!!

Wooow... I so did not know about that...!!
Thank you for the explanation! (That is seriously so interesting...!!!)

I had brought Rocky and Apache home together, so even though they are not blood siblings, they totally are still brothers...
(Or were, at least...!)

I have put Apache with Rocky three days ago, but Rocky attacked the poor boy again; and Apache was whining, and not happy to be assaulted...

For now, Apache clearly is not strong enough to fight back, so I am still keeping the two roosters separated for the time being.

...Thanks to your explanation about Rocky's behaviour, I am not despairing by his last act of agression; and I now know he still likes Apache (or a healthy Apache, at least), and so : Apache really just needs to get stronger to be accepted by Rocky again... and he actually will!

(Maaaaan... what a journey...!)
Can you keep 2 flocks separately, one ruled by Rocky, the other by Apache? I am sure that he would love a few young pullets for company. 😊

Back
Top Bottom