Cruel and Unusual Punishment!

Stacykins

Crowing
9 Years
Jan 19, 2011
Escanaba, MI
At least that is what my chickens must think. I just put on leg bands on them today, every single one. You'd think I'd attached a ball and chain to their foot! I used zip ties, and clipped the excess, leaving plenty of wiggle room. Loose enough so it can slide up and down the leg but not off the foot or over their 'knee'. They keep lifting up their feets and shaking them like they're trying to get a piece of stuck poo off. And when they run, OMG! It is already hilarious when chickens run, especially when I do the treat call, but now they run like they are in a three legged race!

Will they get used to the intrusions? I really wanted it to be able to uniquely mark each chicken. They aren't rubbing or tight for the chickens, just, well, new!

I wish I had a video camera, just because it is so silly. Every now and then today I've done the treat call just to see 'em come running in all their clumsy silliness. Oh my poor tortured chickens, at least I don't just call and not hand out treats, they always score!

Thanks, I do hope they adjust. Just needed a good system to mark the extra roos who are destined for freezer camp from the keepers.

yuckyuck.gif
gig.gif

That is hilarious. I have been thinking of doing that to my chickens. You said you used Zip ties. So may I ask why them? Was it for identification or what. I am just asking so I know how to do it. Next time get a video.
gig.gif

Zip ties were cheap and came in florescent colors, and didn't have to be special ordered. And they can be adjusted for any sized birds. Used a pretty simple system: pink for girls, blue for non keeper boys, and orange for keeper boys. Then my birds raised specifically for meat each got a different color combination, since I weighed and logged their individual weights. One different color on each leg, blue/blue, green/yellow, etc. so I can tell each one apart.

Just gave a bit of order and organization, since I kinda like that stuff
lol.png

I got them at menards, a 100 pack of 5 different colors for 4$. With zip ties, you have to make sure to inspect the fit for tightness, especially if a bird is still growing. They can easily be cut off and replaced, but you wouldn't want to hurt your chickens or other fowl if the tie got too tight on the leg.

Haha....mine did the same thing. They were NOT amused by their new neon ankle bracelets. It is a funny site but they do get used to them and now I can tell them apart.

Back
Top Bottom