Cruel to rehome chickens?

Congratulations on the new family member. After everyone applauding you on your decision I am going to be the wet blanket. I believe when we adopt a pet that we should be responsible to it for life. If you have a second child will you not have time for the first? What about any dogs or cats you have? All that being said, if you can find them a new home together that looks like will give them the same quality of life they now have then I think that’s ok. If I ever have to rehoming a bird I always want to inspect the conditions where they will be going or they won’t go if it doesn’t look good enough. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.
Did you read this part?
Hello all,
We have a very loved flock of ten hens that we were thinking about rehoming. We have a new baby on the way and we feel like it would be better for them to go to a home that can give them proper love and care instead of the subpar care that they would get with us since we would have a newborn that will be getting most of our time and attention.
Thanks!
Sounds to me like OP is not going to send her "very loved flock" to anyone who wont give them "proper love and care".

Thank you everyone for the encouragement. This has been a hard decision for us since we do care for our animals a lot, and I don’t want to bore you with the details of our situation, but this pregnancy has been complicated and I will be on bed rest for several months. We have been falling behind on even what I would consider minimum care like cleaning the coop or letting them out first thing in the morning, so I truly think it will be best for them overall. We have been trying to look for a home that will take them all and have already turned down a few people that don’t seem to be a good fit. Thank you again for all the advice and encouragement!

I think that too many people put human emotions on their animals and don't realize that if you feel like you are unable to care for your chickens like you used to, it is best to rehome them. A human baby is more important than a flock of chickens... I applaud you for rehoming them especially if you feel like all your time and energy is going to go towards your baby... Because believe me it is! Don't worry about what others say on your decision because the only thing that matters is what your family thinks not some stranger off of craigslist.

Congratulations on the baby!!!! :ya

Thank you everyone for the encouragement. This has been a hard decision for us since we do care for our animals a lot, and I don’t want to bore you with the details of our situation, but this pregnancy has been complicated and I will be on bed rest for several months. We have been falling behind on even what I would consider minimum care like cleaning the coop or letting them out first thing in the morning, so I truly think it will be best for them overall. We have been trying to look for a home that will take them all and have already turned down a few people that don’t seem to be a good fit. Thank you again for all the advice and encouragement!

Where are you located any one of us could help

I believe when we adopt a pet that we should be responsible to it for life. If you have a second child will you not have time for the first? What about any dogs or cats you have?
I got 2 of my dogs from a couple who got a dog, then had a kid, then another dog and then another 2 kids. Worked out great for us both.
It happens, don't judge...I can think of worse situations.

Sometimes situations arise where it's best to rehome the flock. That's a decision for the person responsible for the flock to make, no one else.

I've been there and had to do it. Believe me, for us that care about the birds we raise all the way from chicks to maturity it's not an easy choice to make.

Judging others by the same standards (and situations) of ourselves is hurtful and unnecessary.

Back
Top Bottom