Cruel to rehome chickens?

Mar 8, 2018
Hello all,
We have a very loved flock of ten hens that we were thinking about rehoming. We have a new baby on the way and we feel like it would be better for them to go to a home that can give them proper love and care instead of the subpar care that they would get with us since we would have a newborn that will be getting most of our time and attention. However, when we put an add out on Craigslist we got an extremely nasty response from a person saying that we were horrible people for trying to sell them, that we didn’t deserve to reproduce, that they didn’t need that much care, etc. We care about our chickens a lot and want to do the best by them, so I am just curious what you all think and if it is truly cruel to rehome our chickens. We can definitely keep them if we really thought it was going to be a bad situation, I just want the best for them.
Thanks!

Hello all,
We have a very loved flock of ten hens that we were thinking about rehoming. We have a new baby on the way and we feel like it would be better for them to go to a home that can give them proper love and care instead of the subpar care that they would get with us since we would have a newborn that will be getting most of our time and attention. However, when we put an add out on Craigslist we got an extremely nasty response from a person saying that we were horrible people for trying to sell them, that we didn’t deserve to reproduce, that they didn’t need that much care, etc. We care about our chickens a lot and want to do the best by them, so I am just curious what you all think and if it is truly cruel to rehome our chickens. We can definitely keep them if we really thought it was going to be a bad situation, I just want the best for them.
Thanks!
What! They're just off their rocker. Honestly? Knowing your limits makes you a far cut above many, many owners I see that just don't know when to quit and end up neglecting their birds because of it. It's your own decision, but personally? I applaud you for not letting your own attachment to them cloud your view entirely of what may be in their best interest. Good luck with finding a solution—and with your new baby. How exciting.

Last edited:
People ought to mind their own business. These are your chickens and this is your home situation. Your decision. Period.

That being said, if they are able to go as a group to someone, they will probably do well after the initial upset over the move itself. Chickens don't like change, but they do adjust. Just building a new coop and run in their current home does this too. The adjustment usually only last a few days.

Like many of us, you probably spend a considerable amount of time with your chickens, and think it is necessary. It really isn't. They need their coop to be clean and fresh food and water. If you have time for that, they might not take up so much time that you have to give up your fresh eggs. I do spend time with my chickens, but I don't sit with them on my lap or anything like that. My chickens act like the happiest chickens in the world to me. They have each other and plenty of space, all they need.

Whatever you decide, I wish the best for your family and for your chickens. Congrats on the new baby!!!

Hello all,
Thanks!
Congratulations on your expected new arrival! Sorry to hear about the post on CL. It sounds like some nut just trolled you. If they were that concerned then perhaps they would be willing to rehome them. Personally I think you should keep them, it will give you an excuse to jump ship and have a breather! Seriously though, if you want to rehome them then there will be people that will take them on CL but try to make sure there reasons are honest. Have you tried posting on your state thread on here?

Sounds like you cheesed off your local vegan, lol. It’s not abusive to rehome your birds, especially if you’re rehoming them because you feel you can’t give them antiquate attention after having a baby. I’d say that’s the opposite of abuse. If they really cared that much, they would’ve been the first to take them. My sister (local vegan) told me that by taking eggs from our hens, we were abusing and killing them. Whatever they say is going to be 15 times more dramatic than what’s actually happening. I’m sure a fellow BYC member will take them off your hands, there’s a buy/swap forum page you could visit, or a free rehoming page here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/animals-in-need-of-free-re-homing.16182/

Wow. I would ignore that person. They are just trying to troll you. No, it's not cruel to re-home chickens. No sane person thinks that. Whoever wrote you that reply probably doesn't given one hoot about chickens, one way or another. They are simply bored anonymous people on the internet who get a kick out bullying others because their identity is hidden.

Some people aren't happy unless they're being hateful to others. That was just a troll on Craigslist, ignore it.
No, it isn't cruel or irresponsible to re-home your flock, it's actually just the opposite. You're wanting to make sure your chickens get the attention they deserve, I think that's awesome!! I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision for you to make, but the new baby really will take most of your time. I think you're doing the right thing. :hugs
Congratulations on your new bundle of joy!!! :D
Hopefully you can find a good home for your flock. :)

Congratulations on the new family member. After everyone applauding you on your decision I am going to be the wet blanket. I believe when we adopt a pet that we should be responsible to it for life. If you have a second child will you not have time for the first? What about any dogs or cats you have? All that being said, if you can find them a new home together that looks like will give them the same quality of life they now have then I think that’s ok. If I ever have to rehoming a bird I always want to inspect the conditions where they will be going or they won’t go if it doesn’t look good enough. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

Back
Top Bottom