Crumble vs pellet

I'm going through this now - I have been feeding crumble in small fortiflex bowls inside larger fortiflex bowls due to a pullet with significant scissor beak. I refresh feed daily, and the larger bowls prevent waste, but started noticing that the feed was turning to a powder that my flock wouldn't touch. Also bought a few bags that were more powder than crumble. Starting switching to pellets a week or so ago and already notice less waste. It seems my flock prefers the pellets.

Last edited:
Here is the answer on Flock Raiser Pellet versus Crumble, direct from Purina.

"Thank you for your question. We do still manufacture Flock Raiser Pellets. Most stores carry the crumbles since it is an all life phases feed because the crumbles are easier for young birds. I would suggest contacting your local Purina Mills Certified dealer to see if they are able to get the pellets. Please go to www.purinamills.com and then click on where to buy. Put your zip code in and it will give you the name of stores near you. If you have questions, please let me know."

Just as another data point, I know my TSC in Washington state carries/carried both next to each other.

Mine prefer crumbles but only get it when I have mixed ages together and have to use flock raiser. Through trial and error, I've managed to minimize waste. They go back on pellets as soon as the younger generation can eat layer feed. I start mixing it together to get them used to it, but they mostly pick out the crumbles and leave the pellets. I think it's just easier to eat.

My younger birds eat crumbles. I tried my older birds with pellets and they refused ro eat them! I tried and tried, but so much of it was wasted. (Oddly, my cat [who buddies up with my chickens] ended up eating a fair amount of it. Strange cat.)
Not sure why my big girls wouldn't eat pellets. Same brand/type as the crumbles, so I figured it would taste the same.

Then again, I just might have picky birds. Goodness knows my goats are finicky. (I had to MOW their pen because they wouldn't eat ANY of the grass or weeds there. I tried moving them to the field- still nothing. They only eat certain feeds/grasses.

We do Flock Raiser crumbles for everyone all seasons - seems like there's always a broody with babies, even in the fall and winter. As @FlyWheel mentioned, wetting them eliminates a lot of waste.

I keep a 40lb feeder in the coop - much higher sides than the 30lb. Every day I distribute food out in their run into water heater pans - and if things get a little powdery a quick spray with the hose creates a flash mob - very little waste.

Edited to add: The food in the 40lb feeder does NOT get wetted down, ONLY the feed distributed daily in the run.

I will say there's kind of a critical mass in terms of flock size for wasted feed vs. not much wasted feed. As there are now 100+ in the flock, I think there's enough competition that the high-ranking hens tossing feed to look for the specks of corn doesn't result in waste because there's always an underling grateful for the tossed feed to sneak in behind and grab. My 2 old lady hens that have health issues throw theirs ALL OVER the place, deep bowl, nice wet food- doesn't matter- tons of waste.

I personally like the crumble. I scoop the powder from the bottom of the feeder into a container, add water, and voila! They think it’s a treat.
However, I’ve only got 6 so I don’t mind a bit of waste. One bag lasts just over a month.

Back
Top Bottom