Crumbles or pellets?

dwheil

Hatching
11 Years
Sep 21, 2008
Sevierville, Tn
What exactly is the difference between layer crumbles and pellets? I have been getting eggs for about the last month and have them on crumbles. Do I need to switch to pellets at some point or are both feeds the same? I would be lost without this forum.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe crumbles and pellets are exactly the same thing, except pellets are shaped similarly to rabbit food, in small cylinders.

My girls prefer crumbles. We tried giving them pellets a couple weeks ago and they absolutely refused to touch them. We ended up buying the crumbles a few days later because not a single one of them had taken a bite since we switched over.
roll.png

Its funny that this was posted today!! I always buy the crumbles for my flock. This week I accidentally bought the pellets!! I was just not paying attention. It is the exactly the same feed, just a different form. Some people say that pellets are less wasteful but mine love the crumble better. Mine are eating it but I have noticed I dont have to fill the feeder as much. I need to keep an eye on them though to be sure they are eating enough. I also mix black oil seeds in their food as a treat.

They are different forms of the same food if purchasing the same brand at the same place. Usually I buy crumbles (maybe because they are like all the other foods they've been on since I got them) but twice now I've had to buy pellets due to TSC being out. The first time I put them out they looked at them skeptically for about 30 seconds, then dove in; the second time they never even seemed to notice. A friend of mine has had similar experiences. I haven't noticed more/less waste with either kind. I'll still continue to buy the crumbles when available (ok, so I can be a stick in the mud), but won't hesitate to substitute in a pinch.

Edited to say I bought pellets due to TSC being out

Last edited:
pellet... crumble.. mash.

all the same food, different "sizes" i dont like the mash,, it just blows away on windy days... and i dont like the pellets because my banties say it is to big for them.... so i feed the CRUMBLE

Thanks for the fast reply. Based on your expert responses I believe I'll stick with the crumbles. My chickens love to eat so why spoil a good thing. Now if only I whould have found this site before I got my chickens I would have found out that you do not need 24 chickens for a few eggs every day. Up to abour 18 eggs a day. Anybody need a few eggs??

Dennis

Welcome to BYC
I started my flock on pellets and found they liked it better the crumbles made a mess to sandy.
and a little yogurt for a treat.

Eggs are selling for 1.50 a doz
or donate to the food ministry.
just a thought.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom