Crusty Bum

Like everyone else has said, keep it clean. Keep flies away too. My neighbor has a turkey she had to it down bc she realized he was infested with flies, they were all inside his bum, gross, I know, but she didnt realize until it was too late. Keep us posted!!

I plan on doing a little better scrub tonight after she dries herself off with some betadine to get a better look at it. Yesterday I just focused on pulling the gnarly stuff off and keeping it soft.

That sounds like your neighbor's turkey was terribly uncomfortable :(

I scrubbed it pretty good. I can definetely see the slight prolapse but it doesn't push back in so I guess I just guess keep it clean, lubed and see if it goes back in on its own when its less inflamed? I don't know where I would even put a stitch if I were to do that.

I scrubbed it pretty good. I can definetely see the slight prolapse but it doesn't push back in so I guess I just guess keep it clean, lubed and see if it goes back in on its own when its less inflamed? I don't know where I would even put a stitch if I were to do that.
I'd say stiches would have to be done by a vet. main thing is keeping her clean and lubed. cleaning the area with betadine water down like weak tea would be a good idea too. Thanks for updating. And flies will find her if she has any kind of wound, infection etc. I'd be reluctant to put her out for any length of time. Maybe a short visit then back in tub time and cleaned off real good to make sure nothing has had a chance to lay eggs on this. Glad to hear she is doing good though.

So its been almost a week now of treatment and she's been inside most of that time. I'm grasping for improvement measures when I say she's not getting bloody to lay eggs anymore and it doesn't seem to be quite as 'inflamed' anymore.

I kept her in the dark for a few days to try to get her to stop laying but her system just started up again after a month long stop so I'm not sure I'll be able to stop the momentum on that. I felt like I was going to kill her spirit by keeping her in the dark constantly. She has laid an egg every single day. She's never been 'broody' so I don't think by leaving the eggs with her that will get her to stop. I think it will just stress her out. but I could try that.

Every day I give a bath in clay or epsom salt, clean her bum, lube her up, and then push the quarter inch protrusion back in. The protrusion then comes back out and I say 'what else can i do' and then put her back in her sick pen with my dizzy Pekin. The Pekin duckling likes to keep the egg warm for her, which I think is funny considering its a Pekin and its less than 2 months old.

I'm running out of ideas. I think the only thing I am doing by keeping her inside is keeping her away from flies. She's alert, grumpy, and hasn't decided if she's friends yet with the dizzy Pekin but grateful for the company. She eats and drinks great.

She's never been a very 'clean' duck. She doesn't get in the water often and when she does, she air drys and rarely preens herself. She's never finished a molt so her wing feathers are completely raggedy. She was the smallest duckling of the group of 15 I ordered with a couple friends when I first got into ducks. Possibly related? I don't know.

This could have been developing over time and I just didn't notice. It seems like that piece of tissue has to "muscle up" somehow to stay back in her. I think of the word 'atrophy' when I look at her.

I took Sechs to the vet. One stitch each side of the vent, however we removed the one on the opposite side from the prolapse in a few days in case of egg laying. I put her in the dark where there were a few eggs in the corner and she quickly went broody and stopped laying

Last edited:
have you tried vitamin E? Just break open a capsule of 400mg vitamin E and slather it on her bottom. The E shrinks the tissue and it will go back on it's own. Now I will be honest, I have just glanced at the posts on this page and may be missing something from before. If so I am sorry about that, but only had a minute.

Back
Top Bottom