Crusty eye on Cochen bantam

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JoshTD, Mar 25, 2018.

1. JoshTD

JoshTD Hatching

Mar 25, 2018
    Hi. New to backyard chickens, but we have had a flock (currently 9 girls) for a few years. We have a bantam who has bare and slightly swollen looking ring around both of her eyes. I dont think this is normal molting, seems different and has been like this for a few weeks. might be more inflamed looking now though. We also noticed just now that she has a slight wheeze/cough occasionally. This wheeze is pretty subtle. My daughter only noticed it because she was holding this hen on her lap. i couldnt hear it without putting my ear near the bird's face. But i dont think this sounds normal. All the other hens look and are acting totally normally. Does anyone know if this sounds/looks like respiratory infection? really hoping not! picture of her eye attached IMG_3585.jpg . thanks for any advice!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    It could be respiratory illness if she is wheezing and coughing. Have you added any new birds to your flock within the last 30days?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: