Crusty eye/swollen wattle

lja7269

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 9, 2013
One of my Wyandotes has a crusty eye and a swollen wattle. She acts healthy and normal. I do not notice any smell and do not see anything coming from her nose at all. She is a gorgeous plump bird and I would hate to cull her. Is that what I should do? Wouldn't all the other birds get it as well since they share a coop? Ugh!! I am thinking I will lose my whole flock. No other birds are showing any signs. Where would she have gotten this?

Feeding them all laying feed and scratch at night. Scraps here and there. She is eating fine. I haven't noticed her poop but have not seen any in the pen out of the ordinary. She is acting normal.

It could be an eye infection, Fowl Pox, a respiratory infection, or an injury. Could you post a picture?

Ok I am thinking she got bit by something. Hoping actually. I gave her some Benadryl yesterday, today eye is open but a bit weepy, wattle is not as big. She is still just as happy and healthy as always. She moves too quick to get a picture. I just gave her more Benadryl as well as another greedy chicken who grabbed the first dose haha!! I would be surprised it was lice/mits as I keep diatomaceous earth spread out frequently.

And my original flock of 6 had fowl pox and it looked nothing like this. Other than them not laying and scabs on their wattles, fowl pox was nothing.

Back
Top Bottom