Crusty nostril

Shared Acres

Songster
11 Years
Aug 10, 2008
Northeast Fla
One of my silkies has a snotty crusty nostril that is blocking the air hole on her beak. I clean it off and the next night it's back again. Only on one side.

Not hearing any sneezing seems to be breathing ok.

Everything good except that.

Do isolate the silkie. Put Vet Rx on the comb and look for any crusty material under the upper beak. You can run your finger from the back of the upper beack to the front and check for any material that may have formed. Keep the bird on electrolytes and vitamines for a few days. If the bird has a bacterial smell to the crusty material you will need to post this. If the bird has any weezing or "gapping" you need to post this.

Ok, I didn't feel anything crusty on her. I cleaned the one nostril.

She only opens her mouth to breath when I'm holding her down around the neck area. And I don't hear any real wheezing.

When I was restraining her to put the Vet RX on her and to clean her nostril she made one sound like the sound of air coming through a stopped up nose.

I sat in the coop for awhile and saw no open mouth breathing, no sneezing, no apparant wheezing.

I checked the other hens. Momma hen is fine, and my breedy and a very little yellow line (snot like) under each nostril. Wouldn't have seen it if I didn't grab her and examine her.

Gave them all some poly Visol, Vitamin E and the Vet RX.

Anything else I should do?

Sounds like what went through my flock a month or so ago. Only a few got it and a very few really bad. The yellow, runny, stringy snot was what I had. I had one chicken that roosted with about a foot long string of snot from its nostrils. I used lincomycin and then tetracycline for a 10 day period with yogurt and Vet Rx. My one roo was really ill, I thought i was going to loose him. I look out my window and see him chasing bugs as I type. Keep a close eye on your birds.

Thanks!

I have stuff called Terra Vet (Oxytetracycline) and it says it's for respiratory infections. I immediately put that in their water when I noticed the problem.

I try to give them yogurt a couple of times a week, my hen Oprah just runs for it, she might as well inhale the stuff!

Hopefully, this will cure it. Doesn't seem to be bad.

Just an update.

I had them on the Terra Vet in the water before I noticed the crusties, because my husband thought one of them was sneezing.

And I gave them the vitamins and the VetRX and after 3 days, ALL gone!

I mixed some of the vitamins with their food after the 3rd day, just in case. And stopped giving them it by force. And all seems to be well.

Thanks for everyone's help!

One of my silkies has a snotty crusty nostril that is blocking the air hole on her beak. I clean it off and the next night it's back again. Only on one side.

Not hearing any sneezing seems to be breathing ok.

Everything good except that.
Yes. He is not breathing strange. He is eating and drinking and very active still.

Back
Top Bottom