CSU's Welsummer SOP

Pics

EweSheep

Flock Mistress
14 Years
Jan 12, 2007
Land of Lincoln

This thread is the continuation from the original CSU Large Fowl, started by Fred's Hens and it was proven to be successful and many more questions are needing to be answered that we (as the board committee of the Welsummer Club of North America) felt that it would benefit all of us.

This thread is being started in an effort to promote more in depth discussion of the Welsummer breed. Discussion will be focusing on specific breed traits, SOP and breeding practices. Pictures are welcome, but it will be critiqued strongly. Compliments to pictures are welcome but we would like to stay away from the generalized "pretty bird" comments. If you like something about the Welsummers, please be specific as to what you like about it, i.e. nice top line, good leg color, great example of the correct tail angle, etc. We are here to help, to learn, and show the way that the Welsummer should be.

To see the beginning of CSU's Welsummer class, please follow up on this link, from start to finish before coming into here. See Post 1414 https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/732985/csu-chicken-state-university-large-fowl-sop/1410

We will separate by each part of the bird regarding to the SOP for each week or month depending how active people are responding to each part.

Also it would benefit the Welsummer breeders how to cull, to breed out or to breed in certain traits that we find in our Welsummers. If one decide NOT share information, then the rest of the Welsummer world would suffer and it will be a real disservice to the breed itself. We also welcome exhibitors, which there aren't very many of us because Welsummers are still fairly "new" breed, despite of its importation about twenty some years ago and our judges are welcoming to see them in shows. We have a long ways to go and what we can learn, to ponder and to make goals to improve, promote and gain recognition far outweighs the decline of this wonderful breed.

Please be respectful among yourselves and if you can not agree on the issue, please remind yourself it is ok to agree on the issues that you will not agree on and the feelings are mutual. Each one of us have a goal and to get there, it is not going to be easy. If you want to argue or make debates or to troll, please take it elsewhere and settle your differences there. It does not belong in here. The moderators will keep an eye and clean up chit chats that is not pertaining to the threads here.

For those who want to chit chat in general about the Welsummers, please go here https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/271757/the-welsummer-thread

So, shall we get started??????

I'm going to go out tomorrow and get as many close up head shots that I can get of both the hens and roos. I'll try to get shots that show eye color, ear lobes, come, beak , wattles and neck and face feathering. I hope all of you will do the same so we can really get into some deep discussion. Start with the top and work down the bird as we go.

These are the only two head shots I have right now, I'll have to get some of the others

on this first picture, you can see that the come is uneven. Eye color is good.

Taking a straight on picture like this shows that the wattle are moderate length and even.

you are invited to heavily critique anything related to head area.

This is the picture of the Welsummer bantam rooster (Montgomery, German lines)

I think his come looks fairly nice, not overly large - but the points are uneven. I have a question about beak color - its supposed to be dark horn shading to yellow at the tip - is this roo's proximal beak a little too light? The wattles are a good length - but is the concave appearance due to posture or is that an issue?

above picture - uneven com -nice even wattles, this is a young bird, but beak color looks ok. Beak shape is good

above image - wattles are a little long _ beak is good color. Would that be considered a fold near the base of the front of the comb? The feathers over the ear are too light in color

above photo - is there too much horn coloring on the beak?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom