Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

I like the head on both birds. They seem to have great size. The second one seems to have better shape. The first one kind of curves upward at the saddle/base of tail area. I don't care for the two extra long feathers on the first bird, as it takes away from the fullness of the tail. As for color, neither has the correct color for spangled but there is no standard yet for spangled so I guess to each his own. They will both continue to grow an I think I might like the second one still Evan after 2 years.
What is the background of these birds?

I don't know that Danny Padgett keeps any Cubalayas anymore. Last time I talked with him, he had sold out around 5 or 6 years ago.

Danny's standard Cubalayas had been in his family for decades as his father use to raise them.

As a matter of fact, the SDW/GDWs that are out there originally came years and years ago (40+) from Danny Padgett's father.

There were pictures of exhibition Cubalaya in Cuba posted on another site, The general opinion was that the breed as a show breed has degenerated and has fallen way behind those here in the USA.
There were comments on yet another Site where it was stated that another type of Cubalaya exists in Cuba . So far there have been no pictures posted of those.

I kind of figured that. I mean, under the Castro regime it would have been hard for the people to focus on anything other then surviving. Even if there are some, I bet it would be harder to get one to the US then Cuban Cigar.

yet the cuban games are still there. i think the cubalaya was probably a middle class to wealthy type bird for cubans to have and suffered greatly under communism.

I don't know that Danny Padgett keeps any Cubalayas anymore. Last time I talked with him, he had sold out around 5 or 6 years ago.

Danny's standard Cubalayas had been in his family for decades as his father use to raise them.

As a matter of fact, the SDW/GDWs that are out there originally came years and years ago (40+) from Danny Padgett's father.

Danny had told me the same thing at least that long ago it seems. I do know that John Castagnetti's gold and silver duckwings had originally come from Danny. The pullets were a stippled silver duckwing pattern and were not silver wheaton. Fit in with John's own stippled dark reds just fine.

Back from the show. It was a lot of fun. I met cubanlongtails there and Sam Brush. I bought a nice Dominique cockerel from Sam for my wife (she just liked the way it looked). There were no Cubalayas in the show though. I would say a good 50% of the birds were bantams. I would called them micro bantam they were so tiny. Then there were chickens of gargantuan sizes that make normal turkeys looks small. When I saw them, all I could think about was the feed bill. It was hard to take good pictures because of the poor lighting and the cages. If there would have been some Cubalayas, I would have tried harder with my DSLR, but I still took some snapshots with my smart phone. It was worth the trip just to meet Sam and make the connection. I got the eight BBR Cubalayas I bought (3 roos and five hens). They are now resting in individual cages in side my my heated pavillion. It's going to get down to 20 degrees tonight and I don't want to subject them to too much more stress after spending two day in a shipping box. These birds are not as tame as the ones I got from Zook. They are very skitish. According the owner he had lines from Everett, Zook and Brush. A friend of the owner that was showing birds delivered the birds to me so I did not get a chance to ask him which is which. Once I get the birds situated in their pens, I will take pictures ask him to identify them.

On a side note, I got home to find one of my Silver AGs sitting on a hidden clutch of eggs. I did not even know she was laying ( 9 month old pullet). Did not expect this this time of year. I don't really care if she hatches them, but I doubt they will survive the winter. I guess we will see just how good this little hen is.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom