Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

Weird thing happened today. It got down real cold on Monday so I moved all my Cubalayas indoors and put them in cages. This morning when I fed and watered them they all looked fine. Then all of the sudden one of the Ideal cockerels just fell over and died. I mean, it was like he had a heart attacked or something. I have seen really old fat chickens do this, but never a young one. What the heck could have happened?

They are definitely bluer then the middle chick.  The top chick also has bluer legs then the middle chick.   But the middle chick is also the one with different color wing feathers.  So, what does them mean?

The one in the middle seems like the color of a pullet at a young age. Though it is still quite early to tell sex.
Zach

I got him from Ideal in 2009.

I thought so. I was wondering what they would look like full grown. The birds I got from Ideal seem to dies for no reason, so I don't expect my two remaining cockerels to make to adulthood. With the cockerel that died of I.S.C.D.S (Inexplicable Sudden Chicken Death Syndrome) today, that makes five birds total from Ideal that suddenly died for no apparent reason. I have many other breeds of chickens, but only the birds from Ideal seem to have this problem. I wonder what it could be?

I bet you ordered BBRs from Ideal like I did. Wonder if Ideal knows that they do not have BBRs. I don't know what to call their cubalayas; I mean they have pretty colors, but they are not BBRs.

I have no idea but that is really sad and heartbreaking!

Bruce

Yes it is, but I have grown used to it with these Ideal cubalayas. I started out with 14. Three died as chicks within the first few days after got them. They had some sort of defect (head bent over to one side when I got them). Aside from three that were killed by a predator, the rest just simply fell over dead for no reason. I never actually saw it happen until today. I cared for these birds with kid gloves. They have lived in a custom built brooder and then in a 10'X10' protected cage and had unlimited Nutrena medicated chick starter and vitamin water since the day I got them. I don't know what it takes to keep these birds alive, but I can't seem to do it. It's not that big of a deal now that I have acquired some quality birds from Zook and others, but it is still very frustrating to work so hard to just watch your hard work and money fall over and die for no reason.

Back
Top Bottom