Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

I thought so. I was wondering what they would look like full grown. The birds I got from Ideal seem to dies for no reason, so I don't expect my two remaining cockerels to make to adulthood. With the cockerel that died of I.S.C.D.S (Inexplicable Sudden Chicken Death Syndrome) today, that makes five birds total from Ideal that suddenly died for no apparent reason. I have many other breeds of chickens, but only the birds from Ideal seem to have this problem. I wonder what it could be?

I bet you ordered BBRs from Ideal like I did. Wonder if Ideal knows that they do not have BBRs. I don't know what to call their cubalayas; I mean they have pretty colors, but they are not BBRs.

I ordered 3 black breasted red cockerels. I received 2 blue breasted golden duckwing cockerels and 1 black breasted red pullet. One cockerel lived for 9 months and the other cockerel for a little over 2 years, the pullet only lived 1 1/2 years. The pullet had excellent cubalaya type, but I never got any chicks from her.

Last edited:
Guess I have to keep my fingers crossed! Mine were ordered as Blue Reds, arrived June 14th. One is a Splash Red Pyle. Took some pictures today. Not the best, but oh well. Best I can do with foraging chickens.

edited to fix Fae's color pattern. Thanks Oldhound.

Bruce

Last edited:
Very nice tail spread in the pullet facing away in 1st pic. Pullet in last pic is a Red Pyle,not a splash, very pretty. The longer I keep Cubalayas the more I like them. Most of mine are terrific Mothers.

Very nice tail spread in the pullet facing away in 1st pic. Pullet in last pic is a Red Pyle,not a splash, very pretty. The longer I keep Cubalayas the more I like them. Most of mine are terrific Mothers.

That would be the Red Splash Pyle
wink.png

Thanks for the correction, I'll try to reset my brain
smile.png

edit: OK, I went looking for descriptions of splash vs pyle so I know what the heck I am talking about (that would be a first) and failed (not a first). Any help or pointers to information? Thanks,

I'm wondering if one of my girls thinks she might want to be a mother in the future (going to be frustrated without a rooster). I have a yellow and purple plastic egg in the nest box. It has been on our left (external community box) but this morning I found it on the right with an Australorp and an EE egg. Somebody moved it ~ 3' since 8 PM last night.

Bruce

Last edited:
Actually Splash refers to the light greyish splashed with black streaked birds that come from Blue breedings. .

If you look closely at your wheaton hens you will see black in the hackle and tail and wing feathers. Pyle turns Black to White. This gives them white in the places that are other wise black.

I have only been breeding Cubalayas for a couple of years but there are others here who should be able to provide you with a more in depth explanation, such Henk69. ( I think that's his name here on BYC) the chicken color calculator etc.

Like Saladin says of his, most of my Cubalayas lay well through the mild Florida winters. Only one of mine has never gone broody, the rest start setting when the days start to get longer April or so. They are so much better than those styro incubators, and a lot less work for me. Once they sit tight,won't get off even when you reach your hand under them and gently lift, you can safely give them any eggs to brood, mine won't quit sitting until something hatches or I move them to cage with no nests . I usually end up giving them eggs from other hens if I don't want chicks from them. So you could get eggs from a breeder and keep her happy.

the reason it turns black to white is because you have abbred withe dominate white. dominate white covers up black but not red, except in some cases where it fades the red

There seem to be some other factors at work with the Wheaton Cubalaya . Saladin and others have produced a "white" recessive from BBR Wheaton Cubalayas that when crossed back into the Wheaton BBR eventually produce Pyle. At least that is how he and Dave K explained it to me. The White recessives are not pure white, but have faint red /yellow hackles, saddles and wing bows in the cocks. The hens have faint red/yellow showing through on their breasts and in other places. I have two, a Hen and a Cockerel, same BBR X Brown Red parents different hatches. Unfortunately my camera is not of a good enough quality to show the red shading. To me they look like extremely washed out Pyles. A few pages back I posted a picture of a BBR cockerel , his mother is one of those "whites". If you wish you can see him in one of my albums. He will be bred to a Pyle hen next spring, we shall see what happens. I am not trying to dispute what has been stated , just adding to it. Perhaps Saladin and or Dave K will jump in and give us the benefit of experience. I have been keeping poultry farm flocks for some 60 years, but only recently started breeding to the Standard after retiring from raising/ breeding/ showing/ purebred dogs, so not an expert on chicken genetics. .

Yes they come in GDW, but I don't think I've seen those offered for sale by any hatchery. It isn't one of the APA approved colors. For pictures you can't do any better than the early pages of this thread.

Just remember that our GDWs and SDWs are wheaten based and not true BBR based. Thus, the cockbirds look the same but the hens look different.

Back
Top Bottom