Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

There seem to be some other factors at work with the Wheaton Cubalaya . Saladin and others have produced a "white" recessive from BBR Wheaton Cubalayas that when crossed back into the Wheaton BBR eventually produce Pyle. At least that is how he and Dave K explained it to me. The White recessives are not pure white, but have faint red /yellow hackles, saddles and wing bows in the cocks. The hens have faint red/yellow showing through on their breasts and in other places. I have two, a Hen and a Cockerel, same BBR X Brown Red parents different hatches. Unfortunately my camera is not of a good enough quality to show the red shading. To me they look like extremely washed out Pyles. A few pages back I posted a picture of a BBR cockerel , his mother is one of those "whites". If you wish you can see him in one of my albums. He will be bred to a Pyle hen next spring, we shall see what happens. I am not trying to dispute what has been stated , just adding to it. Perhaps Saladin and or Dave K will jump in and give us the benefit of experience. I have been keeping poultry farm flocks for some 60 years, but only recently started breeding to the Standard after retiring from raising/ breeding/ showing/ purebred dogs, so not an expert on chicken genetics. .
in some cases ressesive white can be comined with dominate to produ a color similar to what you have discribed.
p.s. good luck with those offspring

Yes they come in GDW, but I don't think I've seen those offered for sale by any hatchery. It isn't one of the APA approved colors. For pictures you can't do any better than the early pages of this thread.
some breeders of the standard sized one are trying to get silver(i think) into the standard.

what color would you call the first pullet? my best white cubalaya hen died today seemingly for no reason. she was in great health, very good feather and heavy. i am so disapointed that i didn't get more chicks from her. i do have a good young pullet(early fall hatch) that should be awesome.

Last edited:
Guess I have to keep my fingers crossed! Mine were ordered as Blue Reds, arrived June 14th. One is a Splash Red Pyle. Took some pictures today. Not the best, but oh well. Best I can do with foraging chickens. edited to fix Fae's color pattern. Thanks Oldhound. Bruce
Personally I am pretty sure that the bird is based on homozygous blue( splash). If they are from ideal, she is most likely splash. As far as I know, ideal does not carry any birds with white of any sort and most of the birds are blue. I have hatched birds, both Pyle and Sports that the only way I could tell where they hatched from was toe punches. This looks to me like a typical hatchery Sport. I'll take a closer look the see if she could possibly be a sport duckwing.

It's the result of breeding blue wheaten to blue wheaten. If it wasn't for the cinnamon wheaten color, she would be a splash. I've always called them splash wheaten. A good way to find out if she is a splash wheaten is to breed her to a regular wheaten cock. If the chicks all come out blue wheaten, I reckon she would be a splash wheaten.

my best white cubalaya hen died today seemingly for no reason. she was in great health, very good feather and heavy. i am so disapointed that i didn't get more chicks from her. i do have a good young pullet(early fall hatch) that should be awesome.

Sorry cubalaya, I know how that feels.

Man, too many presumably healthy Cubalayas just keeling over!

Yes, they are from Ideal. OK, so MAYBE she is a pyle, maybe she is a splash. Maybe I'll just call her Fae.
wink.png

I'll see if I can get pictures of her feathers and you guys can fight it out 'cause I don't know squat (no not the chicken kind of squat) about chicken colors and genetics.

I just learned yesterday that I've been spelling her name wrong. I guess that is what you get when your kid (even though she is technically an adult) names your chickens. It means "fairy". Peep is named after the sound she made as a chick. Now shes a pushy "GIVE ME TREATS"
droolin.gif
girl. Chatting all the way at a dead run in CASE I MIGHT have something. My new "favorite" phrase is "Girls, I'm just going into the barn to get something!".

Bruce

what color would you call the first pullet? my best white cubalaya hen died today seemingly for no reason. she was in great health, very good feather and heavy. i am so disapointed that i didn't get more chicks from her. i do have a good young pullet(early fall hatch) that should be awesome.
Oh man! Not you too! So sorry to hear that.

Wow cubalaya, that really hurts. Sorry to hear it.

All this year's pullets are laying like champs. The "dead for no reason" phenomenon is worrisome, but may be part of dealing with a rare breed?

Back
Top Bottom