Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

i had a dominique rooster once that beat every old english game on the place and he had 12 hens with him. he loved to be handled but didn't like kids. keeping things natural no lights here and my cubas start laying good in january. i am getting eggs now from the delawares.

i had a dominique rooster once that beat every old english game on the place and he had 12 hens with him. he loved to be handled but didn't like kids. keeping things natural no lights here and my cubas start laying good in january. i am getting eggs now from the delawares.
I had never heard of dominiques before last week at the show. I have done research and found that they are considered to be the very first breed of chicken brought over to this land by the first settlers. The roosters are known for being aggressive and even killing small predators to protect their hens. My guy needs some hens to calm him down. Just found out this morning that a breeder that was at the show (took 4th place) has some hens for sale. Hopefully I will get a couple from her. I gave this AG cockerel (below) to a couple yesterday that were looking for a good rooster for their flock. They said they thought they had some dominiques and be willing to give me some if I could give them some chicks from the breeding. I am going to go and see what they have later. I am thinking they might have Barred Rocks and not Dominiques, but hey, I might get lucky. I just gave them the rooster to help them and because I have too many. When they came to get him they saw my Dominiques rooster and made the suggestion of giving me their hens to breed for more chicks. I love giving stuff away. I make so many friends that way.

Last edited:
jungle,

The first chickens brought to this country were Games no ifs ands or buts about it.

Beware when someone says something like 'Doms were the first chicken breed brought over' for several reasons:
1. It was Games: the writers don't know their history.
2. The writers discount the Spanish who brought White Face Black Spanish to the Americas before the British ever got off their little island (after they brought Games, of course).

Besides most farm breeds weren't really 'breeds' as such in 1607 when Jamestown was established as the first British colony in America. But, Games have always been separated as such from farm breeds.

I'm sure you weren't misquoting; I've read the same misinformation before too. A bunch of messed-up Anglophiles who don't know anything about chickens and seemingly less about history!

However, in that particular article it is not stated they were the first importation. It states they are the first American breed which is true and different than what you stated. Still you'll hear it stated as you said as well.

Last edited:
jungle,

When you read 'it is consider America's oldest breed of chicken' (refering to the Dominique), you are to read that as stating: It is considered to be the first breed of chicken produced in American. That is it didn't originate elsewhere such as the Game or White-faced Black Spanish. Do not read that as 'it was the first breed to arrive.'

The way folks write chicken lingo can be difficult to follow at times. me included. doc

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, finally, someone tells it correctly. It would also not be the oldest of the American breeds? The Java would be older but originated elsewhere? The Java being the only American breed that is also a Foundation breed (as opposed to a composite breed)?

The chicken sources all call the Java the 'second' oldest American breed.

I always figured because it was so-called because the Anglophiles could not stand being anything but first!
LOL.

Back
Top Bottom