1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cubalaya, Jun 1, 2010.

1. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    thanks cuban longtails, how about some pics of your birds.

i live in virginia with the heat and humidity and they stand it well. i was pleasantly surprised at how well they lay in the winter. i dont think they are noisy at all. i had some kraeinkoppes at one time and they were noisy and flighty.

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    In my experience, they are not noisy birds. I've been raising them for three years now.

You aren't the first person to have asked that. I'm wondering where the misinformation is coming from. Do you remember where you'd heard/read that the cubalaya breed was noisy?

3. cubalaya

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    here is a golden wheaton pullet

then: [​IMG]

now: [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  4. cubalaya

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    [​IMG]

this was my bb red with some of his girls

5. gallorojo

gallorojo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Southfarthing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think I have posted these pics before, but, if there is a cubalaya thread, I will add these pics to the mix!!

6. cubalaya

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    nice, gallorojo. what breeding are yours?

7. gallorojo

gallorojo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Southfarthing
    I got all my starter birds and eggs form a friend. His birds were a result of his crossing stock from Ideal poultry with stock from Shamoman. He really was trying to avoid inbreeding, as am I . I will post a few more pics..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some of these may not be that great as far as the Standard, but, I am still learning, working, and making progress with them..

2 people like this.
  8. cubalaya

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    as far as learning more, me too. but i really like them as a breed and would like to see them more popular. they are great chickens and look good in the yard.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  9. cubalaya

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    wow, there must be only 4 or 5 byc members that have cubalayas.

10. CarriageStone

CarriageStone Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2010
    I picked up a couple from some guy in Cumberland, Virginia. Seemed decent enough. [​IMG]

We ended up selling one of the two we got from you that day. The one we have left is beautiful. Really beautiful. I'm wondering though if it's a roo. I've not heard any crowing, but it does have the long tail feathers much like the top pic in Gallorojo's 6-13-10 post.

One thing is for certain, it sure does like roosting HIGH up in trees. When we were letting them free range, it would routinely roost about 15' to 20' up. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by