Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

thanks cuban longtails, how about some pics of your birds.

i live in virginia with the heat and humidity and they stand it well. i was pleasantly surprised at how well they lay in the winter. i dont think they are noisy at all. i had some kraeinkoppes at one time and they were noisy and flighty.

In my experience, they are not noisy birds. I've been raising them for three years now.

You aren't the first person to have asked that. I'm wondering where the misinformation is coming from. Do you remember where you'd heard/read that the cubalaya breed was noisy?

here is a golden wheaton pullet

then:
18815_dscf0016.jpg

now:
18815_dscf0027.jpg

Last edited:
I got all my starter birds and eggs form a friend. His birds were a result of his crossing stock from Ideal poultry with stock from Shamoman. He really was trying to avoid inbreeding, as am I . I will post a few more pics..

42987_dsc00285_3.jpg

42987_dsc00279_2.jpg

Some of these may not be that great as far as the Standard, but, I am still learning, working, and making progress with them..

as far as learning more, me too. but i really like them as a breed and would like to see them more popular. they are great chickens and look good in the yard.

Last edited:
I picked up a couple from some guy in Cumberland, Virginia. Seemed decent enough.
wink.png

We ended up selling one of the two we got from you that day. The one we have left is beautiful. Really beautiful. I'm wondering though if it's a roo. I've not heard any crowing, but it does have the long tail feathers much like the top pic in Gallorojo's 6-13-10 post.

One thing is for certain, it sure does like roosting HIGH up in trees. When we were letting them free range, it would routinely roost about 15' to 20' up.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom