Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

I wanted to drop in and say hello. I'm still in the game, I bought a quad from Urch and a pair of pullets from Jim Zook this winter. The Urch hens molted right ater I got them and the Zook hens are just starting to lay but are very nice.
Are the ones from Zook, wheaten colored? Don't be bashful to post several pictures of all the ones you have.

All my birds are bb red. I'll work on some pics. I was impressed with Zook...straight shooter and helpful. USPS sent the pair to KC instead of St. Louis which caused a big delay. They were guaranteed in two days and he took the time to get me my shipping refund which saved me $70. Granted I paid $130 for two pullets but he could've blown me off and he didn't.

All my birds are bb red. I'll work on some pics. I was impressed with Zook...straight shooter and helpful. USPS sent the pair to KC instead of St. Louis which caused a big delay. They were guaranteed in two days and he took the time to get me my shipping refund which saved me $70. Granted I paid $130 for two pullets but he could've blown me off and he didn't.
Great! Zook is a remarkable man.

Hello :)
I'm in the planning stages of having a flock and I'm pretty determined to have hen raised chicks only. The Cubalaya is fitting my ideal picture of a broody....heat hardy, exceptional foragers, small. Do you mind answering a couple of questions?

Are Cubalaya hens ever utilized as broody hens for another breed? Can multiple broody hens be housed together as they raise chicks? (will they attack another's chicks).

edited to clarify: a broody coop subdivided into smaller areas, one for each broody....but once they're allowed to mingle back into the flock would there be broody on broody violence?

I'd like to get the logistics figured out before I build it :)

Thanks,
M

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom