Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

I was wondering if any of you guys have hatching eggs for sale? I'm looking to bring new blood into my flock with better characteristics

I have two hens brooding some eggs right now and will likely hatch within the next 2 weeks.

My Cubalaya girls are killing me this year. I generally have 2-3 a summer that go broody. We scoop them up with their nest and put them in the "maternity ward"-a fenced off area of the coop. They stay put and become decent moms. This year, I've had SEVEN go broody at once. They aren't even sitting on eggs!! When we try to scoop them up and place them in the maternity ward, they freak out and run away. I am at a loss for how to break them. The few we've successfully broken by tossing them out of the nest a few times a day have quit laying. Out of 25 hens, I'm only getting 6 eggs a day-pretty poor considering we're selling at the Farmers' Market this year. Does anyone have any advice for breaking these broodies??

I generally have 2-3 a summer that go broody. We scoop them up with their nest and put them in the "maternity ward"-a fenced off area of the coop. They stay put and become decent moms.

Hi,
sorry to redirect your question, but what is the success rate of this scenario? How many eggs can each broody hen bring to hatching? Once hatched, what's the average yearly percentage of chick survivability?

I'm sure it varies by site/farm, but is it a viable option for increasing flock numbers?

Thanks in advance,
adamf

Back
Top Bottom