Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

Thanks. Their feathers are little rough because I have so many of them and they just stay bunched up all the time even though they have plenty of room to move around. Some of the cockerels have a little better tail feathers then the one I post the picture of, but this is the one I caught. I am very excited about their size already. I mean this three month old cockerel is just a few ounces away as weighing as much as those 7 1/2 month old Ideal cockerels. If they keep up this growth rate, what to you guess their mature weight might be?

Last edited:
I would guess 5 pounds? That's just a guess, but 5 pounds from a hatchery bird would be impressive. That sort of information is good for people to know, how the different hatcheries birds vary.

It is not hard to keep them still, you can either hypnotize them or simply tuck their head under their wing and rock them like a baby for a few seconds. They will fall asleep and you can lay them on their side (head on the bottom). The trick is to not touch their feet when you lay them down.

I was sure you were sending me to find a "left handed baseball bat" but what do you know, I found several references to hypnotizing chickens, including (of course) YouTube videos. Pretty amazing. I'll have to try it just for fun.

Bruce

I was sure you were sending me to find a "left handed baseball bat" but what do you know, I found several references to hypnotizing chickens, including (of course) YouTube videos. Pretty amazing. I'll have to try it just for fun.

Bruce

Ha ha ha! I thought it was common knowledge; but I have lived for 30 years in third world countries were raising chickens is a way of life. Some chickens are easier then others, but with practice you can do it to just about any chicken. Some will only stay in the trance for a few seconds and other will stay for a long time. But I just tuck their head under their wing and put them to sleep. It is easier and more reliable them hypnotizing them. I only do the hypnotizing thing to amuse kids.

Ha ha ha! I thought it was common knowledge; but I have lived for 30 years in third world countries were raising chickens is a way of life. Some chickens are easier then others, but with practice you can do it to just about any chicken. Some will only stay in the trance for a few seconds and other will stay for a long time. But I just tuck their head under their wing and put them to sleep. It is easier and more reliable them hypnotizing them. I only do the hypnotizing thing to amuse kids.
O.K.!! you have made me curious enough that I am actually going to look this up and try it......stan

I weigh all my birds on their backs. Just flip them over and place them in the basket hanging from the scales. They'll lay perfectly still long enough to get the weight. The wildest bird on the yard will calm down when on his/her back in the basket. Easy.

I don't have a hanging scale. Maybe I could pack up the birds and go to the produce section of the grocery store. "Don't mind me people, I'm just checking my chicken's weight"
lau.gif

I have a small counter scale that I use to weigh the eggs (The Cubalaya eggs are running 38 to 40 grams recently) but I think it goes to 12 pounds so if I get an open basket, I could do that ... if they won't hypnotize. That just sounds TOO fun! I should do Zia (Ancona) first. She's the bossy girl and keeps mounting the others. Would serve her right if I flipped her on her side and hypnotized her.

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom