Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

just had some eggs hatch today and some of the chicks were more of a redish type color thatn the creamy yellow color. all the others were lighter than the yellow almost white. i was just wandering if anyone knew what color they would turn out to be and if it helps they are eggs from junglexplorer and im not too sure but i believe the birds they are from where crosses between cubakid hens and a zook cock bird.
I have some 11 week old chicks from that same breeding that came from Jungle. I'll try to post some pics soon. I am not real familiar with these colors, but I believe they are wheaten BBRs?? There are 2 pullets that are different though, one looks to be a wild type golden and one has Columbian markings. ......

This batch was banded and color coded. I have them now at about two and a half months old, I'll have to look at the records to which color was what as a chick.

i've heard this before but the way it was explaned it said that "blue pyle" was incorrect terminology leading the unexperienced person to think that a blue pyle is a red pyle where the red is blue if anyone would like to cheak out the book it is "bantam chickens" by Fred P. Jeffery. the book has a very informative section on breeding/chicken genetics mostly color though not all colors are in it as it was made in the 70's the ABA still sells it i believe but what i've read and have been told it's still up to date.
Yeah that is what Jeffery stated in his book... a great one by the way. But, it's an old term so I still use it.

just had some eggs hatch today and some of the chicks were more of a redish type color thatn the creamy yellow color. all the others were lighter than the yellow almost white. i was just wandering if anyone knew what color they would turn out to be and if it helps they are eggs from junglexplorer and im not too sure but i believe the birds they are from where crosses between cubakid hens and a zook cock bird.

I am so glad you had a successful hatch from those eggs I gave you. There will be some good looking BBReds, but you will have some culls (as I think everyone here does). The difference will be most noticeable in the females. The redish female chicks will turn out either to be a darker Wheaten color or Wild Type (True BBRed) pullets. I have a few that turned out this way. Personally, I really like the wild type look and as was stated a while back on this thread, Wild Type females can still be used in a male show line. If the redish chicks are males you will not see much a difference in the males from the whiter chicks. I did not pay close enough attention to say for sure, but I have a few cockerels with darker mahogany colored wing bow feathers that may have come from these redish chicks; but these cockerels also have the best looking hackle coloring. The cockerels I am talking about are very similar in coloring to the picture Saladin posted of his cockerel a while back. I will try to get some pictures and post them.

i am very familiar with the wild type as i have them in True bbred and bluered in my bantams but im trying to get rid of all them as the males (atleast from what i have) have solid hackle color. and also from what ive had the wild type ones are like chipmonks in coloring with a large stripe down the middle and 2 thinner sripes on the sides. but not all lines are the same.

Here are some pictures. All these pictures are of birds hatched from the same eggs I gave to you.

This is one of the wild type. I only have 2 of these out of 75 chicks.

Most of the pullets look like this.

I have some that look like this.

Most of the cockerels look like this.

I have a few with darker wings that look like this.

Same bird as above.

These birds are all 13 weeks and younger. I cannot take credit for these birds because I did not breed their parents. The credit belongs to the breeders their parents came from. Maybe in a few years after I have done some of my own mixing and matching, I can say, "Look at my birds", and even then I would have still only built on the hard work of others. Sorry for the different shades of lighting. It is blowing a hurricane outside and is partly cloudy. I had to bring all the birds inside to take pictures and the passing clouds kept changing the lighting conditions.

Last edited:
I have not weighed them yet. When I am done culling and the birds are much older I will start weighing them. There is also one other type of pullet I am getting. It has slate (blue) colored legs and is more of a cream color. None of the cockerels came out with slate colored legs, but I do have two really nice looking cockerels that have yellow colored legs. I am culling them and any pullets with slate colored legs from my breeding program. I am working exclusively on standard BBReds. I will keep the little wild type pullet for yard art just because I like the way she looks.

Here is a smart phone pic of the two yellow legged cockerels. These also have the dark mahogany wing bow feathers. Windy again. Man, I wish this wind would die down.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom