Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

I had three or four very interested participants asking good questions about the breed. One lady had been a 4H poultry coach for a quick recall team. Apparently the "lobster tail" of the cubalaya is a common topic for quiz questions. She also asked if they were even supposed to have spurs!

I have never had a cubalaya cock without even spurs. The above cockerel was extremely slow to even show a spur bud. Is the misconception about the breed lacking spurs perhaps related to how slowly the spurs appear in cockerels with multiple spurs?

Here are some of my Cubalaya I got from JAT last year.

I like that pyle. I am going to raise some more this year using some cuba/thai grade hens to get their size up. the chicks will be 15/16 cubalaya. my wheatons (bb reds) will also be at 15/16 this year. I also keep a straight line. each to their own but never cared for spangled cubalaya or asil. I know some breeders are hatching next month. I think I will wait until feb. to incubate. feb., march, and april hatches for incubated cubalaya chicks. will let the broody hens take care of the rest. no incubated asils at all and eventually no incubated cubalayas. the cubalayas are very capable mothers and I even let them hatch out asil eggs at times.

didn't mean to hijack the thread. seems like this time of year is slow on all the chicken sites. facebook is having some effect also as so many post there and do not have time to post on the others. as we get past the holidays, interest in the cubalaya, and chickens in general will increase as people start thinking of spring. I am already planning matings for feb.

Yes it is slow. I have been culling heavily, putting 5 cockerels in the freezer and selling or gifting another 9. This was my year to pay for several lucky years of pullet heavy hatching.

On the bright side, I seem to be finding some enthusiastic customers for the boys. I am up front about their conformation flaws, but a cubalaya makes a mighty nice flock rooster. Jerks go in the freezer. Got to take 5 more to a repeat customer tomorrow - his buddies liked his so much they wanted more!

some of this years keepers

black red
He looks great in type! Even with the white in the tail being such a difficult thing to get rid of, it does actually look quite attractive. If we would not need to breed for show quality as in certain feather colors, it would a lot easier to get excellent typed birds. I have considered breeding a line for type only and not in any way for color at all, just to see what would happen. As of now I have not had the courage/space to do so. Again, I think this rooster looks very attractive and especially with the white in the tail as it brings with it a sharp contrast.

thanks jat. I have been trying to get a completely black male for a few years and then this stag pops up. too much red and white but what a bird. keeps his tail down and is always moving and tame. going to breed him to my blacks and wheatons and see how the chicks turn out. still have the original black cock from doc Everett that I plan to single mate to the biggest black hen this year

Back
Top Bottom