Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

Update on the Rent-A-Broody experiment with @wood&feathers

[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

My other three. (I will figure out this photo embedding one day.) There were 5 chicks originally, but I lost the tiniest one to my best guess is a heart defect or inborn error of metabolism. Something congenital I'm thinking.

Last edited:
Can anyone help me Identify the color and gender of this Cub.

It is six weeks old and the only one out of 66 birds that looks like this.

I originally thought it was a pullet as there are some similar pullets, but now I am thinking cockerel. There are no other cockerels like it though. I'm so confused.

I can get more/better pics if needed.

Thanks for any help.

Mini Meat I was waiting to see if anyone else would answer your question since I am not the expert. Your chick looks like the ones I have that turn out a wild type color, sort of partridge. Most have been pullets, but if it starts getting tufts of black or chestnut feathers it could be a male

I was also waiting to see what others would say. woods could be right. when my cubas look that color, they usually are pullets. yours has a long tail, black on breast, and a few white tipped feathers so thinking stag this time

Mini Meat I was waiting to see if anyone else would answer your question since I am not the expert. Your chick looks like the ones I have that turn out a wild type color, sort of partridge. Most have been pullets, but if it starts getting tufts of black or chestnut feathers it could be a male

I was also waiting to see what others would say. woods could be right. when my cubas look that color, they usually are pullets. yours has a long tail, black on breast, and a few white tipped feathers so thinking stag this time
Thanks for the responses.

Sounds like you folks are seeing and thinking the same things I am. I'm going to go ahead and place my bet on cockerel, but I'll call him the bender (as in gender bender).

Any guesses as to Benders adult color assuming he is male? I ordered BBreds. The vast majority I believe to be blue with only a few true blacks, both pullets and cockerels. More than half of the pullets appear to be wild type or split to wild type (if that is even possible).

Also I noticed that at 6 weeks they ALL have dark green eyes. I am hoping they are going to change to bay. It could be normal for all I know.

Cubalayas certainly make one want to learn about color genetics. Nice, fun birds so far.

Back
Top Bottom