Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

Thanks Cassidy, the encouragement and interest are both greatly appreciated. The current site looks good, but I wanted to carve out time I don't have to break out Photoshop and play around with some designs (before likely sticking with what we already have in a huff :). I have a love-hate relationship with graphic design work. Maybe some Cuban-tropical island/paradise theme (except that we associate the island more with the Bay of Pigs than sipping drinks on a golden beach), and then considered a 1930s Cuba theme, since the breed arrived at that time (except in the 1930s, Cuba was celebrating their own Great Depression when the price of sugar crashes out to nothing, so there's very little positive vibe going on and to be fair, America was not having the best of times, either : ). It will be a fun sort of frustration.

Neo, every little bit helps. As lovely as funding would be, I'm hesitant to accept any money at this point in time. I've already paid for everything out of pocket: if it succeeds, we can, as a group, discuss what money would be needed for beyond site expenses (ie. are any members involved in 4H and would like to hand out ribbons to 4Hers who show their Cubas in the local fairs, will there be enough momentum to do a newsletter that requires covering printing/mailing costs, and so forth). If this fails and this hatching season has me foaming at the mouth and hiding under a rock when I think of my to-do list, so the site gets delayed, then people are simply out a bit of time - but they still have contributions that can be placed here to benefit other breeders. We can look at how much progress has been made in a few months, then reassess later on and go from there.

Pictures would be extremely useful. Even pictures of birds with flaws that can be pointed out. I assume that with all of our work, all of our birds have flaws that are being worked out. Showing a picture of a nice bird, but pointing out that the tail should do X or Y, or getting a close up shot at the wrong leg color, or show a weird comb and explaining that it looks that way because of a walnut comb gene, helps a lot. For new people, it doesn't simply show them what the breed _should_ look like, it breaks down _why_ it looks that way (the hard feathering on X bird is probably from Asils, the jaunty trim stance is likely from game fowl, and so forth). I've found that I learn just as much from people explaining what a flaw is in a bird as I have from people pointing out a good quality trait.

Plus we all like to look at pictures (I'll admit, Cubas are beautiful, but I keep swooning over that golden duckwing game fowl cross that was posted on here: just the posture and color and everything is beautiful in that picture : ).

Troyer, an article about oriental crosses, based on your observations, would be absolutely fantastic. I'd love to hear thoughts on what the Thai does to the docile, friendly personality of the breed, or whether you think they negatively impact production qualities (growth, egg lay, etc), and what you would suggest to produce an overall larger Cubalaya that still retains the breed's personality and production qualities in addition to shape and size.

Looks like you are off to a good start. Thanks for all you are doing. Now that you are the official Website administrator for the Cubalaya Club this avatar belongs to you now, if you choose to use it. All the best. Oh and thanks for the compliment on my Cuba/Game cross. I could not agree more. He is just a joy to look at.

Last edited:
Cubalaya, I see you got some stock from sand hill, were they good? I'm looking to get some cubalayas, having no luck local or in state besides ideal poultry. I have 1 cockeral and one pullet from ideal poultry, they are small. Rooster was ordered as bb red but it is silver duckwing. Rooster is mild mannered as is the pullet. I like the ones I have, I would love to get more. I don't need sq, but I would like nice birds. Thanks

yes check the first 20 pages of this thread and you will see what I had to work with

We live in Idaho and are looking for Cubalaya chicks (or at least a very young cockeral). My 12 yr old son had a Golden Duckwing Cubalaya Roo that he dealy loved who died last year. We would love to replace him this spring! He was the best rooster we've ever had! So sweet and gentle and loving to our hens. We miss him so much! We are willing to pay for shipping, or to drive somewhere within 3 hours of zip 83535 (mid-Idaho). Please respond here, or text 208-816-0392. Thank you!

Just an update: things are progressing at a slow and steady clip. I will probably try to upload the full site this weekend with the original design just so that we have something up. Then we can update it from there.

Jungle, thank you for the icon. I will definitely be making use of it.

Chickenwhisper, good luck with getting another rooster. I have had a hard time finding them out here. I will either get some hatching eggs this spring or keep playing around with a bantam line I have.

Pasturedpeeps, I don't have a Facebook account at all (no time and I'm embarrassingly stubborn), but if someone is part of the group and they would like to link the Facebook group to the website they are welcome to contact me directly to see if there is a way to combine forces and get more people involved in a single place.

cubalaya club on facebook has a lot of german cubalaya breeders that show on there. you have to translate a lot of what is posted but most of us are on there too. I have posted lots of pics of my birds on there.

Back
Top Bottom