Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

Welcomed these two littles this week.

Here is a nice looking pullet, at least I think so.
smile.png

Geez if you don't know, no one does. You've been raising Cubalayas quite a while now!

Interesting pattern. Head, body and tail are Cubalaya but I don't think I've seen a "Columbian" shawl and wild partridge feather pattern posted before. Of course I am as "expert" in Cubalayas as anyone else whose entire Cubalaya knowledge consists of 2 four year old "blue breasted red" hatchery birds, one of which turned out to be a red splash
wink.png

Welcomed these two littles this week.

What color variant Cubalaya are those?

These came out of mostly BBR and black stock with some white roosters. My big black hen with Asil graded in started out the color of the little black chicken, and I believe the pale yellow will be a wheaten hen. All my darker "chipmunk" chicks have ended up BBR roosters.

Well, I am officially out of the Cuba program. I took a two week vacation from the farm and when I got home, every Cuba I had left was gone, along with my entire free range flock (about 40 birds), killed by a predator.
hit.gif
All I have left is the Cuba/Game cross in my avatar.

I really need a dog to guard my flock. Anyone know a good medium size dog (40 to 60lbs) that makes a good flock dog for an unfenced free range flock (that I will not have to rebuild from scratch)?

Well, I am officially out of the Cuba program. I took a two week vacation from the farm and when I got home, every Cuba I had left was gone, along with my entire free range flock (about 40 birds), killed by a predator.
hit.gif
All I have left is the Cuba/Game cross in my avatar.

I really need a dog to guard my flock. Anyone know a good medium size dog (40 to 60lbs) that makes a good flock dog for an unfenced free range flock (that I will not have to rebuild from scratch)?
I would think a Blue Heeler (Australian Cattle Dog) or Border Collie could do very well for you. I would lean toward the blue heeler.

I would think a Blue Heeler (Australian Cattle Dog) or Border Collie could do very well for you. I would lean toward the blue heeler.

Yeah, the Australian Cattle Dog was already in my mind as a good choice. I just don't know much about their wandering traits. I have owned hybrid grades (Mutts) in the past that would not wander off, but I have not had much luck finding this trait in a American full breed dogs, that tend to have uncontrollable instincts to take off without direction.

Back
Top Bottom