Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

Bantam Cubalaya chicks, the quarter is for reference on how small they are.
IMG_9909.JPG

It feels like I'm posting some scraggly goblin compared to all of the beautiful birds in this thread. I just bought this guy yesterday off my local craigslist. I suspect he's been abused or neglected at the very least. Supposedly he's a blue cubalaya around a year of age

What do you all think? Here he is in a box coming home and outside of my back door cannibalizing some eggs. I'm hoping he'll regain some vitality on my land
Snapchat-894392224.jpg

Screenshot_20230416-111413-985~2.png

I am so incredibly impressed by this year old cubalaya rooster's behavior. He immediately started protecting the hens, finding them food and assisting the brooding mothers. Right now he's sitting on a clutch of eggs so that one of the two mothers can take a break

The door to my coop is always open and I've never even seen another rooster enter it
IMG_20230417_110600550~2.jpg

It feels like I'm posting some scraggly goblin compared to all of the beautiful birds in this thread. I just bought this guy yesterday off my local craigslist. I suspect he's been abused or neglected at the very least. Supposedly he's a blue cubalaya around a year of age

What do you all think? Here he is in a box coming home and outside of my back door cannibalizing some eggs. I'm hoping he'll regain some vitality on my land
View attachment 3469681
The color looks like a blue wheaten. He has pearl legs, a good pea comb and smallish wattles which is good.
I think you're right that he'll become more healthy looking once he's in your yard for awhile, unless the hens feather pick him.

I am so incredibly impressed by this year old cubalaya rooster's behavior. He immediately started protecting the hens, finding them food and assisting the brooding mothers. Right now he's sitting on a clutch of eggs so that one of the two mothers can take a break

The door to my coop is always open and I've never even seen another rooster enter it
View attachment 3471082
That behaviour is consistent with Cubalaya temperament.
Could you post a picture of him at alert with a full body shot from the side? It give us a better perspective on his type.

Could you post a picture of him at alert with a full body shot from the side? It give us a better perspective on his type.
Thank you for the information you provided. Here he is standing around on alert, and another one of him watching hens eat. I hope these images work

This is his fourth day here but he's adapting very quickly. On his first night here he slept hiding underneath my house, I think perhaps because he didn't know how to roost like my other birds. Based on his frantic running around and inability to fly that night, I suspect that he was in a cage for most of his life
Snapchat-1148310383~2.jpg

Snapchat-524522524~2.jpg

He looks high percentage Cubalaya. I wouldn't say pure, but it's a guess not knowing his parentage. He won't win any shows where color is a deciding factor, but he'll make a nice barnyard rooster.

Back
Top Bottom